The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Am I being realistic with my budget? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/am-i-being-realistic-my-budget-110553/)

Tasia 01-23-2012 11:09 PM

Am I being realistic with my budget?

I am looking for a second horse, a project horse. I have not settled on whether I would put reining or western pleasure into it. I have expeirence in both and they are the two events actually turning a profit for anyone around here.
Theses are some criteria I am looking for
mare
Less than 5 years old
colour(not the end of the world) black, grulla,buckskin, red dun,roan.
Top or bottom includes one of the following lines: hollywood, banditos, high brow cat, colonials,peppy, zippos.
Very minimal training such as halter broke, stands tied, lunges, been sat on. I want a blank slate.
good mind, willing, calm

Onto the question! Do you think I could get a horse matching these criteria for under $1600? Is this realistic?
Thank you

themacpack 01-23-2012 11:13 PM

Where are you located? The local market will play heavily into what you can/can't get for that price.

waresbear 01-23-2012 11:14 PM

For a weanling, yearling? You could a pretty good quality one.

Tasia 01-23-2012 11:32 PM

I should of been more specific, I am shopping in western Canada. I was looking for something I could start right way age 2,3,4,5.

waresbear 01-23-2012 11:34 PM

That's where I am from, BC, the price for decent quality weanling or yearling would be $1500. Anything older and cheaper wouldn't be the calibre of horse to do WP or reining with.

CLaPorte432 01-23-2012 11:40 PM

With the horse market the way it is now, I think it is definitely do-able. I see tons of horses on the market for well below what they are worth. Especially horses under 5 years old. You may be able to find a horse that fits what your looking for, for $800. But it might be across the country or in the US, so factor in shipping, you could still be under your $1600 budget. Don't limit just to Canada, the US horse market is crappy right now, You never know what you'll come across.

waresbear 01-23-2012 11:44 PM

Yes, look in the states, then factor in the shipping costs.

Country Woman 01-24-2012 12:31 AM

good luck with you finding a new horse

Tasia 01-24-2012 09:29 PM

I haVe thought about buying from the states, I will send out a few emails to some shippers for quotes. Luckily I have also found a couple nice fillys in my price range.

flyinghooves 01-24-2012 09:47 PM

Sorry if im ruining your question with my own but I can't figure out how to post. This is my first forum...I 23 and getting married, we are moving outwest in the spring I have to great horses one is 15 halflinger cross (my 1st horse) and I love her with all my heart. Second one is a appendix..registered, and beautiful but..since i can only take one Im haveing a really hard time with this..mostly because of all the unwanted horses that aren't being fed...I think i should keep my unregisterd horse. Help! How do you pick and choose?