The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   How advanced dressage for Casey? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/how-advanced-dressage-casey-110555/)

caseymyhorserocks 01-23-2012 11:55 PM

How advanced dressage for Casey?

3 Attachment(s)
So, here is Casey, we are doing training level in dressage. I do not currently have a video but will try to get one. With her conformation, how high do you think she can go (in dressage levels), based on conformation (if you can tell anything)? We are still working a little bit on cantering, but we are doing walking/trotting leg yields very fluidly, and we have done walking pirouettes. She is a tad pigeon toed on the front hooves (hard to teal in photo though), and toed out on the hind and a slightly long back.. But other than that, what do you think? We have dressage lesson every week, I dont have an arena and barely have any flat space to ride in anyways at my house. Thanks guys!
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...54-d4gbs9x.jpg

DuffyDuck 01-24-2012 03:44 AM

I honestly can't say about how high you'll get, but I see a LOT of pigeon toed horse doing L which is our third level up- unsure of the equiv and score fairly well with some minor dishing.

2BigReds 01-24-2012 05:08 AM

I don't know too much about dressage confo but is she sickle and cow hocked? It looks like it from the pictures here but I'm no expert!

In all honesty I think it's more a matter of mental ability than conformation up to a certain level. One of our training horses is built VERY upright and he's a level 3 dressage horse who may progress still! It's hard when you can't practice in an arena more than once a week, though. :/

kitten_Val 01-24-2012 08:01 AM

Casey, I'm not gonna guess about the level (first, because I'm not an expert, and second, because you NEVER know until you try :wink: , even my very experienced trainer refused to guess when I asked her same question about my mares), but I think you may struggle with the same issue I'm struggling with on my qh: longer back, and as a result of it it's hard to connect the back to the front and the transitions are not as easy (I have to ask her for more impulsion for the transition, which I usually don't from my compact paint).

Cute horse though! Did you try to show her already?

caseymyhorserocks 01-24-2012 09:27 PM

Thanks guys! Val, we are working on getting on the bit, which after a year she is finally getting and holding it for more than a minute. I have showed her in Introductory level dressage twice, first time I got eighth, which was the very first time ever competing in more than a 3 person stable show, and then in my second dressage test in that day I got 1st! This year I placed 2nd to my friend, but, her horse's sire was like the US dressage champion...

kitten_Val 01-24-2012 10:04 PM

Cool! Sounds like a good start to me! :)