The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Quick question about grain after exercise (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/quick-question-about-grain-after-exercise-110577/)

Saranda 01-24-2012 08:59 AM

Quick question about grain after exercise

I had a change in my daily regime and now, during working days, I can manage to visit my horse only about an hour and a half before the evening grain is fed to all the horses in the stable. If I want to exercise him during working days, then I have to manage to do it before feeding time. I know that feeding grain right after exercise is a big no-no because of the colic risk, but how is it precisely - can I still ride him for about 40mins in light walk and trot, cool him down for about 20mins and then we still have about 10mins until feeding, or should we avoid exercising that late before feeding at all?

Saddlebag 01-24-2012 09:09 AM

You can ride him as you wish but walk him the last 10 min or so. As long as he's not puffing when given grain he should be fine. You might find as grain time nears he's not overly cooperative anyway. Colic is completely unpredictable, because of the length of the gut and how it "floats" within the horse. This was from a UK report on colic.

Skyseternalangel 01-24-2012 10:12 AM

I used to give my horse grain after he exercised and no colic (but he's an extraordinary pooper!) As long as they're cooled down and their heart isn't racing, they should be fine.

Saranda 01-24-2012 01:54 PM

Thanks, gals, now I understand this better. Had some great exercising this evening. :)

mls 01-24-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1323382)
You can ride him as you wish but walk him the last 10 min or so. As long as he's not puffing when given grain he should be fine. You might find as grain time nears he's not overly cooperative anyway. Colic is completely unpredictable, because of the length of the gut and how it "floats" within the horse. This was from a UK report on colic.

As long as he is properly cooled out and provided any water he wants after the work out. Breathing rates have nothing to do with being properly cooled.

I'm not sure about the horse not being cooperative. Most boarding facilites have evening riders. Folks need to work to pay for their horse.

Saranda 01-24-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

As long as he is properly cooled out and provided any water he wants after the work out
Yes and yes. I always take proper cooling very seriously and he has an automatic waterer. Thanks for clearing this up for me!

As for being possibly uncooperative - well, he has tried this on several occasions but he knows it won't go through with me.

loosie 01-25-2012 01:57 AM

Think about yourself eating a big meal immediately after hard exercise - you're more likely to get a stitch. If it isn't hard exercise, or you give your body a short recovery time, you won't likely suffer. Now consider that horses aren't built to cope well with big meals anyway, or starchy grain, which especially if fed in big meals can cause hind gut problems.

So... I would personally ditch the grain in favour of a healthier alternative and ensure the horse gets fed little & often & not in big meals. Perhaps you can divide the evening feed & feed him half of it before you ride if it's big.