The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   please read! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/please-read-110581/)

shandasue 01-24-2012 09:41 AM

please read!

hey! thanks for reading this. i have a horse thats around six she isnt registerd but i think shes a standerdbred mix or sumthing. shes blind in her left eye. im very bored of just trail riding, theres nuthing to do around here and few ppl who ride. i think my horse would do anything i ask i just dont know what to do. please give me some suggestions, i feel like im mistreating my horse with boredness
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 01-24-2012 09:45 AM

Are you concerned that a horse that is blind with one eye can not do the same as a horse with two seeing eyes? Or are you just looking for any suggestions on what to do?

Skyseternalangel 01-24-2012 09:53 AM

Anything? Teach your horse lateral movements, build a course to navigate around. Learn a discipline. Do a fun groundwork/bareback day.

I don't know how you could be bored of trail rides!

MangoRoX87 01-24-2012 10:02 AM

Have you looked into maybe 4H? (not sure how old you are lol)

I'd join a trail riding group or even a drill team. Drill teams are really fun, great way to get your horse exposed to other horses and for you to make more friends and increase your horsemanship!:)

kait18 01-24-2012 10:12 AM

for having a half blindhorse who then went completely blind ... there really is not a whole lot to do besides enjoying what little they can do without freaking. if your horse now has any bad issues i would say the best thing to do is work and focus on groundwork... a blind horse with issues in groundmanners is dangerous.
I have been teaching my guy tricks (kind of) so that when he lost his sight he would still be able to do things. these are just some of the stuff i did before my guy went blind
taught him to pick up his feet with a tap of a crop. eventually worked it out so that the height of the tap was how high he needed to step.
taught him to ride and focus on cues in a hackamore and halter so he wouldn't be unsure with a bit
worked on densentizing him to shadows and loud noises on his blind side... you need to be ready for freakouts and try to get him to stay calm and trust you... this alone is really hard but if done right it really is a savior.
make sure he lets you handle his blind side. he needs to be able to relax to thngs he cant see but can feel...
your voice will be both your best friends so i would really work on voice commands for walk, trot, step, back, side, stop etc...
ummm... another thing my mom told me that helped was to keep in mind : being half blind doesn't mean you lose the fun, just means you need to find other ways to have fun...
i still can ride my fully blind twh on the trail and we have our cases of freakouts but 90% of the time he is dream just like he was with his eye sight.

goodluck

AndreaSctlnd 01-24-2012 10:12 AM

Ohhh, I want to join a drill team! LOL. I know that sometimes it is lonely riding by yourself. But if you have a stable near by, maybe you can advertise there for someone to go with you or to do some sort of traiing with. Good Luck.

shandasue 01-24-2012 01:24 PM

thanks. i dont have any problem w her being blind, shes not even very spooky.
whats a drill team?... like the things they somtimes have befor rodeos or somthing?
Posted via Mobile Device