The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   If your horse is pastured.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/if-your-horse-pastured-110585/)

furbabymum 01-24-2012 11:30 AM

If your horse is pastured..

What would you do about this?

I keep my horses on 40 acres at home. I go out and whistle and they run to the barn to get fed. Last night I was whistling and whistling and they weren't coming. I stood out there for what felt like forever running all these panic scenarios through my head. Eventually they did show up, thank goodness. It was pitch black so I couldn't see a thing.

If your horses didn't come what would you do?

mystykat 01-24-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furbabymum (Post 1323477)
What would you do about this?

I keep my horses on 40 acres at home. I go out and whistle and they run to the barn to get fed. Last night I was whistling and whistling and they weren't coming. I stood out there for what felt like forever running all these panic scenarios through my head. Eventually they did show up, thank goodness. It was pitch black so I couldn't see a thing.

If your horses didn't come what would you do?

Grab my flashlight...and take a walk. Or break out the quad.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-24-2012 11:35 AM

I would have gone and done something else for 15 minutes and then come back, if they still didn't come I'd whip out the quad to rule out something bad.
Even at boarding stables I know a lot that if the horse doesn't want to come in (and is not in danger) they leave it until it gets hungry, which usually takes about an hour tops haha.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

furbabymum 01-24-2012 11:37 AM

I thought I'd get in my car and drive about. I just worried if they weren't down they'd been stolen. WY is opening 2 new slaughter plants thanks to the new law.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystykat (Post 1323480)
Grab my flashlight...and take a walk. Or break out the quad.

mystykat 01-24-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furbabymum (Post 1323485)
I thought I'd get in my car and drive about. I just worried if they weren't down they'd been stolen. WY is opening 2 new slaughter plants thanks to the new law.

That would be a terrifying feeling..especially with a big pasture. I can see them just not wanting to come up, but with that being a factor I would be a little worried too!

Cowgirls Boots 01-24-2012 11:46 AM

125 Attachment(s)
My horse is on 60 acres and usually doesn't meet me at the gate so I have to walk it every night in the dark to find him
Posted via Mobile Device

kait18 01-24-2012 11:52 AM

my horses only have 21 acres and when they don't come to feed calling i get my quad out lol turn the lights on and make sure they get there buns back up to the barn area...
i have spotted mountain lions right on the outskirts of our property so no more walking the fields in the dark lol

AndreaSctlnd 01-24-2012 12:22 PM

Scary...did they finally come?

nuisance 01-24-2012 12:36 PM

I'd probably honk the horn on my truck a couple times, something louder to get their attention, then try whistling again (but I can whistle! lol). then, I'd walk or drive to try to find them.

My dad has this loud "yelp" type yell that he can call the horses up from anywhere. That call carries so far!!

blue eyed pony 01-24-2012 12:40 PM

^ like a sort of "c'MON!" thing? I do that. Carries a lot farther than just yelling their names that's for sure. it's hard to put into words, perhaps I should record myself calling the horses LOL