The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mysterious eggs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mysterious-eggs-110590/)

bittybocket 01-24-2012 01:44 PM

Mysterious eggs?

My new horse arrived at my barn about a week ago. I noticed he had white egg type things all over his rump. I figured they were bot fly eggs because they looked similar and were hard to get off. However usually they are found on the legs and they are yellow. Well when he came in out of the rain last night I found even more of them! But now they aren't white like they were, they're brown. Could it be because they are dead? I thought they would have fallen off or something? There is no way I can get them all out of his thick winter coat with a bot knife or slick n easy block. So I was going to just clip his winter coat :( does anyone have any idea what else they could be or a possible solution? I was going to clip him tonight so I can't get pictures before hand.

Please help!
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 01-24-2012 01:49 PM

Bots do not lay eggs on the rump. I've seen them lay eggs low along the belly line and in the flank area where horses itch themselves, but not high on the rump.

If those are truly eggs you're looking at, they are most likely "nits", as in lice nits:shock:

But it's hard to say without pics. It might be vet time, to confirm whether or not the horse has lice nits (which is contagious) or something else.

The vet can also provide or recommend the necessary shampoo or wash to get rid of The Garbage:-)

Reading/replying to this thread is not going well with my oatmeal - lollol

themacpack 01-24-2012 01:52 PM

ITA with walk - also, because you mention the horse is kept, at least partially, outdoors and that you are planning to clip the winter coat, are you prepared to provide blanketing to make up for the sudden/drastic loss of coat? It is truly best to deterine exactly what they are because simply clipping is not guaranteed to address the underlying problem (ie if it is lice), additional treatment would be needed.

FlyGap 01-24-2012 02:01 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Lice, hopefully biting ones that can be killed with Ivemectrin. The chewing ones IME are harder to get rid of. Also spray him down with fly spray ASAP. That helps.
Call your vet and get advice ASAP so as not to infect the others.
I've had rescues that turned up with them and infected my whole herd. Couldn't tell right away but the infestation grew so I could notice and man, it can spread FAST!

bittybocket 01-24-2012 03:09 PM

Just looked up nit lice. I definitely think that's what it is. Looking at the pictures they are almost identical. Ugh this poor horse was definitely neglected. Should I still shave him? Yes I am prepared to blanket him. I have about 5 different blankets ready and waiting for him.

Does anyone have any recommendations for lice products?
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 01-24-2012 03:21 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Are they the biting/sucking lice or chewing? Chewing lice are gold with black marks on their backs, round orange red heads. Ewww.
You need to contact your vet. Sevn dust works but I prefer a high concentrate of Permethrin found in most fly sprays, but call your vet and get advice first.
Read this - http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ice-32862.html

cmarie 01-24-2012 03:22 PM

Feed stores have lice dusting powder I have never had to use it (knock on wood), but they should be able to tell you what is best to use, not all kill eggs so you may have to comb out the nits or have to shave him close. Good luck.