The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Anyone here use/used Nutrena Prime? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/anyone-here-use-used-nutrena-prime-110609/)

dee 01-24-2012 04:52 PM

Anyone here use/used Nutrena Prime?

A friend recommended it for our hard keepers. I'm familiar with the Nutrena brand, but not this particular product. It looks like it runs a little more per bag than what we currently feed, but you don't seem to feed as much, so it may be less expensive in the long run.

Any advice, comments, cautions or other words of wisdom?:D

Countrygal892000 01-24-2012 05:13 PM

The feed you are asking about is the Nutrena brand Life Design Prime Correct? If so it is actually for horses that are easier keepers and not hard keepers. It's calorie level isn't high enough for a horse that needs that extra umph. It is made for an older horse that is still active and supports hoof, coat and muscle growth. If you have a harder keeper and especially if you are working and training a lot with them I suggest a grain or sweet feed that is very high in protein at least 14% and a supplement such a redcell added to the feed once daily helps as well. I hope this helps!!

dee 01-24-2012 09:06 PM

The Nutrena is 12% protein and 5% fat. I wish it were higher fat, but since we also use Omega Horse Shine, the fat content should be fine, I am thinking. Daughter liked the idea that it has the pre- and pro-biotics in it - something our current feed is lacking. We also feed beet pulp to help out with forage. The Nutrena Prime is less expensive than what we are feeding now, especially since you have to feed less of it.

I was just hoping it would work for us. Guess not, huh?

cakemom 01-24-2012 09:39 PM

Nutrena compete would work for you. I use prime for my easy keeper and compete for my hard. In winter I add senior to the hard keeper as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

dee 01-25-2012 10:01 AM

The Nutrena Compete might work better. It's a little more expensive, but again, it looks like we would have to feed less of it than what we are currently feeding now.

Would this work?

Nutrena Compete (feed according to mfg directions)
Beet pulp (because decent hay is hard to get around here)
Omega Horse Shine (a little more added fat, plus psyllium since our brats like to dump their feed tubs and eat the feed off of the ground)

The Nutrena Compete looks to be pretty stout stuff, and since some of our horses are bigger than others, we will definitely have to separate them and not allow musical buckets.

Maybe I should had that our "hard keepers" are most likely only "hard keepers" because the quality of the hay isn't very good. Around here, you can choose decent grass hay at $145 for a 700 pound bale (which is what we are using now), or moldy alfalfa hay at $135/bale - and I wouldn't feed that to any living creature. We could ship some decent hay in, but I don't have $5,000 cash lying around for a load of hay, so we have to buy it from the feed store and try to make up for the lack of quality.

I sure wish this drought would end. Our own hay was much, much better than what we are feeding now - not to mention cheaper!

mls 01-25-2012 12:36 PM

We feed the Nutrena senior to the less than thrifty horses. Empower is a great weight builder without adding energy to the horse.

DrumRunner 01-25-2012 12:50 PM

I also feed the Nutrena Life Design Senior..My 22 year old gelding gets it and my hard keeper was on it to gain weight, now that she's gained enough to be where I want her I have her on another feed..The Nutrena Senior is a great feed though.

Nutrena: Products - Horses - Life DesignŽ - NEW Life DesignŽ Senior

Nutrient Level
Crude Protein 14.0%
Lysine 0.7%
Methionine 0.25%
Threonine 0.45%
Crude Fat 6.0%
Crude Fiber max. 16.0%
Calcium 0.75% - 0.85%
Phosphorus 0.65%
Copper 40 ppm
Zinc 140 ppm
Selenium 0.3 ppm
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 75 mg/lb
Vitamin A 4,500 IU/lb
Vitamin D3 450 IU/lb
Vitamin E 150 IU/lb
Biotin 0.45 mg/lb

dee 01-25-2012 02:16 PM

Here are the nutrient levels for

Nutrena Life Design Prime:

Crude Protein*12.0%
Lysine0.6%
Methionine0.25%
Crude Fat5.0%
Crude Fibermax. 15.0%
Calcium0.7% - 1.1%
Phosphorus0.6%
Copper40 ppmZinc140 ppm
Selenium0.5 ppm
Vitamin A4,000 IU/lb.
Vitamin D450 IU/lb.
Vitamin E60 IU/lb.
Biotin0.45 mg./lb.

and for Nutrena Life Design Compete:

Crude Protein*14.0%
Lysine0.75%
Methionine0.3%
Crude Fat7.0%
Crude Fibermax. 8.0%
Calcium0.7% - 1.1%
Phosphorus0.6%
Copper50 ppm
Zinc150 ppm
Selenium0.6 ppm
Vitamin A4,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3500 IU/lb
Vitamin E80 IU/lb
Biotin0.45 mg

Basically, the nutrient levels for all three are comparable, with the "Senior" and the "Compete" being slighlyt higher in protein and fat.

The "Compete" states that it has a controlled starch level, but I'm not sure what that's about - hopefully it means low starch?

The Senior seems to be primarily beet pulp and alfalfa and more easily digestible, but it's considerably higher priced than either the "Compete" or the "Prime."