The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   High strung horse - Is there anything out there that can help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/high-strung-horse-there-anything-out-110660/)

StraitGirl 01-24-2012 10:25 PM

High strung horse - Is there anything out there that can help?

We have a wonderful Quarter/Paint cross mare that is VERY high strung under saddle and is an energy machine!

This mare loves to work but she doesn't know when to gear down. She acts like this whether she's being asked to "work" or enjoy a leisurely hack down the road. She has never been out of control and other than the constant jogging when riding her, has never offered to buck or bolt. She has great ground manners and is very laid back when grooming/tacking, the only time she is hyper is under saddle.

We have heard about different vitamins and oils that can be used to naturally help calm a horse like this down but we have never used any of these ourselves so would love the opinion of people who have. :-)

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-24-2012 10:44 PM

is she stall kept? Im a firm believer in 24/7 turnout with run ins. The only horses that are nuts at my barn are the ones that the owners insist live in stalls. :)

StraitGirl 01-24-2012 10:53 PM

All of our horses are out 24/7 with access to shelter. We have a quonset to bring them into if any one is injured, etc... but other than that, they live outdoors.

Rachel1786 01-24-2012 10:59 PM

What is her diet like? There may be too much sugar and starch in her diet for the amount of work.

Skyseternalangel 01-24-2012 11:04 PM

More ground training, check her/his diet, keep the horse's mind busy, research red raspberry leaves, research lavender oil...

That's all I can think of of what I would do with a high strung horse. Believe it or not, my horse used to be VERY high strung, and he still is he just knows how to keep his honey bees in the jar (aka control it.)

Only suggestions, not criticizing just so you know !

StraitGirl 01-24-2012 11:17 PM

Her diet is very basic, just good quality hay (not too rich) and she only gets grain as an occaisional treat or if worked hard but that's rare. She's not worked hard enough to need anything more right now. She is the same whether she's ridden daily or a couple of times a month.

This mare is very well broke, she's 14 years old, has done everything from ranch work, mountain riding, parades, roping and barrel racing. She is as push button as you can ever ask for (no criticism taken :-)). You can ask her for anything and she's probably already done it before you've asked, lol! We are not this mare's first owner but I was able to track down and talk to all but one. All have said the same thing, she is naturally a high strung horse.

Red raspberry leaves and lavender oil....I have heard about lavender oil but not the raspberry leaves, I'll check it out. What about vitamin B1? We heard that works as well..... Has anyone tried it? (still open to other options of course :-) )

Rachel1786 01-24-2012 11:51 PM

My mare is a very high strung, hormonal TB. She constantly wants to go and never seems to slow down. Almost a month ago I put her on smartmare harmony(for the moodiness) and she actually seems much calmer on it already. It's pretty inexpensive also. I tried raspberry leaves with Bella but it didn't help. At the same time as the smartmare, I started Quiessences, only 1/4 of the dose, that was started because she is very prone to ulcers and magnesium I've heard helps to heal them, It's hard to say which is helping, or if it's both lol.

Skyseternalangel 01-24-2012 11:53 PM

I don't have any experience with this, but have you researched hormone shots? A lady I know is leasing a mare that is absolute pits without them. Afterwards, she's wonderful.

Only something I've heard about, so please research it thoroughly and talk with your vet!

Also a equine massage for your horse would help relax her as well as loosen up tight muscles. Something to look into as well.

amp23 01-25-2012 12:00 AM

We have a horse at my barn that was extremely high strung (when out with other horses or under saddle) until we got him into a set routine. He has to be in a paddock with one mare, brought in around the same time every evening and stays in overnight, then let back out about the same time every morning. Since he's gotten into a routine he's become a different horse. Don't know if this would help you at all since your horse is only high strung under saddle, but I figured I'd chime in just in case it might :)

waresbear 01-25-2012 12:05 AM

If this horse is only high strung under saddle, give her more work. I don't mean running around either. Obstacles, like doing a gate, trotting poles in a pattern, lots of patterns, doing a bridge if you have one, sidepassing, haunches in & out, etc all these require her mind & body occupied. Works wonders for one of my boys AKA Scotty too Hotty. He rarely does the hot to trot stuff anymore, he knows it means more work, he rethought the situation, I have a feeling your mare could benefit from this.