The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Wondering if anything Jumps out at you? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/wondering-if-anything-jumps-out-you-110708/)

draftgrl 01-25-2012 01:06 PM

Wondering if anything Jumps out at you?

4 Attachment(s)
So I finally got some decent conformation shots of Traum. He is only 1 1/2 years old, I know that he's got a lot of growing yet, but was just wondering if anything stood out to anyone about him.

He is a Gypsy X Quarter Horse.

I know that the shot of the hind legs isn't the best, didn't realize this when I took the picture.

Thanks in advance!!

Oh, the time stamp is wrong on the camera...can't figure out how to get rid of it lol.

Elana 01-25-2012 02:35 PM

I will judge him as a draft horse. He toes out in front and he is sickle hocked. He has a steep croup to go with the sickle hocks. His back is a bit long and he is weak over the loins.

A LOT of draft horses are sickle hocked, steep crouped and weak over the loins. It was thought that a horse built like this could pull heavier loads. It is not true. If they do a lot of pulling most develop spavins (bogs then bone).

He is going to be pretty because of his color but he will be longer than he is tall, likely will be rump high and with his point of shoulder angle he won't have a flashy gait (getting his knees up).

This does not mean he won't be a wonderful horse to own and train and work.. and he will look excellent in a heavy harness!!

AndreaSctlnd 01-25-2012 03:14 PM

I think he's a poodum...I would love to grab that face and give him a big smooch! That being said, I know nothing about conformation so I will leave it to the expets.

draftgrl 01-25-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks Elana! It is funny though, in person his back almost seems short! But in the pictures does look a bit long.

I have no major worries about what you have said about him. Also, I already have him started ground driving and hope to have him driving lightly come summer or so :)

Andrea: YES I do that frequently!!

Sinister 01-25-2012 04:45 PM

I think he's a gorgeous horse, but I don't like his bum. He's a bit down hill but he'll probably grow out of that, my gelding was extremely down hill when he was a baby and now that he's 4 he's evened out. But overall his hind just looks extremely weak. Doesn't mean he wont be good for driving or anything; I know a pony mare that doesn't even have close to a jumpers conformation but has competed and won at 4.6ft jumping competitions and the only thing stopping her is her age [late teens] the owner doesn't want to push her. His shoulder angle isn't that bad, and I like his thick legs [I like most draft crosses for that reason, I hate seeing toothpick legs like my baby has :P ] And I think the black spot near his right eye is completely adorable! He's really handsome, good luck with him!! :D

draftgrl 01-25-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks Sinister, Yeah I hope to bring him up. The only training he has had is from me, and I have only had him for umm a month? So hopefully even in another couple months he'll look even better!

Yeah, I like good strong legs as well