The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Learning to groom horses :D (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/learning-groom-horses-d-11071/)

claireauriga 07-05-2008 08:25 PM

Learning to groom horses :D

The other day I learned that one of my old school friends now boards her horse at the stables where I ride - another friend from school used to, but now boards closer to her home. Anyway, the first friend heard from the second friend that I want to learn more about looking after horses, not just riding them ... so the next time I'm up at the stables, she's going to start teaching me how to groom her horse, Luca.

Unfortunately, this won't be for a week or more because I leave for a week's holiday in, oh, five or six hours, but I can't wait :D

horsey gal 07-05-2008 08:51 PM

Hey, that's great!!! So, do you just take lessons, and go there and they give you a tacked-up horse and then you just hop on and ride, then hand it back? Just wondering, cause I've been riding for years now and all lesson barns I've ridden at make you groom and tack-up the horse, then ride, then un-tack and groom again :P So, I was just wondering-cause that's not what I'm used to . Anyway, that's great that you're going to learn to groom a horse...it's lots of fun. What are you doing in your lessons? How long have you been riding? Let me know how your riding goes, and how it goes learning to groom. What kind of horse is Luca? PM me or reply to this. (If you want to, of course) bye!

horsey gal 07-05-2008 08:52 PM

Re: Learning to groom horses :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireauriga
The other day I learned that one of my old school friends now boards her horse at the stables where I ride - another friend from school used to, but now boards closer to her home. Anyway, the first friend heard from the second friend that I want to learn more about looking after horses, not just riding them ... so the next time I'm up at the stables, she's going to start teaching me how to groom her horse, Luca.

Unfortunately, this won't be for a week or more because I leave for a week's holiday in, oh, five or six hours, but I can't wait :D

Oh, and I forgot to say...have a wonderful holiday!!!!

PoptartShop 07-05-2008 10:58 PM

That's awesome! :) There's always something new to learn, it's really fun.

My2Geldings 07-06-2008 07:36 PM

:lol: :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My9ZrhVDkY0

Sissimut-icehestar 07-06-2008 08:09 PM

uh, these grooming videos make me sad, if it were only that easy to comb my mares mane and tale ! her mane only took my about 3 hours one day and more the next, alot more :roll: i only got alittle started on her tail, it was too frustraiting to do for long periods of time ! and the next time iŽll see her she wont have been groomed for 11 months, the joy of it all ! :twisted:

buckaroo2010 07-06-2008 09:38 PM

thats soo great!! :) always learn something :)

Vidaloco 07-07-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissimut-icehestar
uh, these grooming videos make me sad, if it were only that easy to comb my mares mane and tale ! her mane only took my about 3 hours one day and more the next, alot more :roll: i only got alittle started on her tail, it was too frustraiting to do for long periods of time ! and the next time iŽll see her she wont have been groomed for 11 months, the joy of it all ! :twisted:

I've have 2 horses with very thick manes and tails. Nothing like an Icelandic but I feel your pain :lol: I can't imagine what they would would be like after 11 months in the wild. Saros is bad after 2 day!
My Mattie (a horse I sold) I would have to just work it in sections it was so thick.

claireauriga, grooming is almost as much fun as riding. I think it really helps build a bond with your horse. They really appreciate all that rubbing and scratching.

barefoothooves 07-07-2008 11:37 AM

Hmm. That whole "strapping" part is confusing to me. It just looks like spanking to me. LOL And what if a horse is tender skinned and can't even tolerate a stiff brush?
I'm not stirring debate, I don't think it's abusive or anyting, I just don't see the point and wonder about the high strung horses reactions. Anybody that does that on a regular basis that can fill me in?

Curious George 07-08-2008 06:39 AM

Oh thats awesome!!
It always great to know.
When I learned to ride they made us brush our horses, but they where actualy already brushed it was more for the experience or somthing?
But yeah, thats awesome!