The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Types of Rope for Rope Halters.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/types-rope-rope-halters-110724/)

Babysis940 01-25-2012 01:46 PM

Types of Rope for Rope Halters..

I am trying to find out what kind of rope to use to make a rope halter. I love the kind that Clinton Anderson uses. Does anyone know what he uses? Or something that is kind of similar?

Thanks!

Skyseternalangel 01-25-2012 02:02 PM

I'm not sure about rope but here's a fun article if anyone is interested in making one: http://americashorsedaily.com/images...ropehalter.pdf

Tianimalz 01-25-2012 02:11 PM

I'm not sure what rope he uses, I haven't been able to find something similar in my routine stops to the Walmart... but they do have this 100ft roll of poly rope (meant for camping) that I got for around $5, and man I just love it. It's durable AND comfortable, and easy to work with. I have mine turned into reins right now, still working on trying to make a halter :lol:

Joe4d 01-25-2012 02:34 PM

Walmart sucks,
Hit a lowes or home depot they have different colored rolls of line, for the good stuff find a west marine, or boaters world. All different materials and weaves. You are looking for 1/4 or 5/16th line.

Tianimalz 01-25-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1325616)
Walmart sucks,
Hit a lowes or home depot they have different colored rolls of line, for the good stuff find a west marine, or boaters world. All different materials and weaves. You are looking for 1/4 or 5/16th line.

It has it's uses as a store as anywhere else :/ Local army surplus' can generally offer a wider selection just as well, but their prices sent me packing back to Walmart where I got a rope that works just as well and for a lower cost.

Babysis940 01-25-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1325616)
Walmart sucks,

Thanks!

Still willing to hear form anyone else :)

Joe4d 01-25-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tianimalz (Post 1325626)
It has it's uses as a store as anywhere else :/ Local army surplus' can generally offer a wider selection just as well, but their prices sent me packing back to Walmart where I got a rope that works just as well and for a lower cost.

I am sure the Chinese appreciate that.

Tianimalz 01-26-2012 02:04 PM

:rofl:

Ink 01-26-2012 02:56 PM

No idea about the rope, but here's a good set of videos with step-by-step instructions for tying one!

Ink 01-27-2012 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I was inspired by this thread to go out to the Lowes after work and pick up some rope. I got this stuff. It's a 1/4" polypropylene diamond braid rope with a 108lb work limit. After I got home and read the label, it warned not to use to hold or restrain animals or humans. Umm.. woops? Do you guys think it's safe to use, or should I look for a stronger material? I probably won't be tying her up in it anyway, but still...