The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Can I teach my kids? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/can-i-teach-my-kids-11073/)

Zanesgirl 07-05-2008 09:39 PM

Can I teach my kids?

Hi guys,
just curious about something.
for years my mum tried to give me instructions, and well, lets just say it didn't turn out so well. im not inclined to listen to her, wasn't then and still not now (ive seen her do too many stupid things that put herself and her horse at risk).
what i was wondering though was whether i should teach my kids to ride or take up the offer of a friend (instructor) to teach them. what would you do?
i know i've learnt a LOT of bad habits over the years, and dont really want my kids picking them up (i.e. i can get away with doing them simply because i always have done them and know the consequences, but i worry my kids will see me climbing off a horse the wrong side and think it is acceptable).
(to clarify why i get on and off the wrong side is due to my left knee needing reco surgery and it isn't as strong as it should be). also, i have taught one mare that i ride regularly to walk off whilst i mount as i need to forward motion to help get me into the saddle, another thing i DO NOT want my kids to learn.
so what would you do? would you teach your kids, or get an instructor to do so?
look forward to hearing your thoughts.
bdan

PoptartShop 07-05-2008 09:55 PM

You could teach them...like give them pointers & stuff. But I say just get an instructor. :)

iridehorses 07-05-2008 10:12 PM

I think that if you were to read your post as if someone else wrote it, you could answer it. I would turn it over to an instructor.

Zanesgirl 07-06-2008 05:22 AM

I'm thinking i might get my friend to teach them. and if they ask me any questions, i'll just answer them like i do when im instructing.
that should work...........i hope?! lol

thanks guys

iridehorses 07-06-2008 03:52 PM

I remember when my kids were learning to drive. A friend and I exchanged those duties; I taught his kids while he taught mine. We both seemed to have more patience that way.

I once tried to teach my kids to ride (about 20 years ago). I even bought them a well trained pony. My impatience turned them off to riding forever and I'm so sorry I didn't do it the right way.

Good luck!

upnover 07-06-2008 05:53 PM

Honestly, I would say get an instructor. You could be one of the best riders and a fantastic teacher, but I've just found that kids are much more responsive and pleasant to an outside person! It'll be more fun for the both of you, I think. Plus, you can sit back and enjoy watching them ride while the instructor does all the work!

I would like to add also, if you go with the instructor, let the instructor handle teaching them, don't try and throw out comments from the side. No saying you would, but I have some parents who do that and it drives me and their kids crazy!

Abby 07-06-2008 07:16 PM

I honestly don't think getting off on the wrong side is a huge issue, in fact you should make sure your horse is OK with both sides because if someone happens to do something like that, you don't want them to panic on you.

I always mount from the wrong side, and I actually get off on the wrong side, its more comfortable for me, I didn't do it intentionally, thats the way our mounting block is set up. At first Lucky was dancing around unsure, but after a about three times he just quit caring. As for the walking off, thing, I definitely agree that is a bad habit.

I would get an instructor, kids seem to listen more aptly to someone that they don't know as well. With parents or family, they might do some eye rolling or a bit of sass. Which someone else, they may be more inclined to bit their lip and do as told.

My2Geldings 07-06-2008 08:07 PM

You will always get a hard time from your kids for trying to teach them something new. Regardless of what it is you are trying to teach them. My sister in law is a piano instructor. She has a friend of hers teaching her kids piano and she teaches her friend's kids.

It's a good way of having the kids learn without being taught by mom or dad. As you said kids never want to listen.

I think if your kids are wanting to learn, there is no reason why you couldn't teach them the basic principles of riding if you are comfortable doing so. You can always transfer over to a trainer if it doesnt work out, tho I don't see why it wouldn't :)

Good Luck

breezeypoo<3 07-07-2008 10:07 PM

when i first started taking actual lessons,it was with my cousin who wasnt neccesarily an instrucotr, but he owned/bred/broke/ & occasionally showed his horses. where i was so familiar with him, I didnt pay attention to what he was sayin -i didnt take it seriously. cosequently, i picked up a lot of bad habits because he just gave up on the fact that id ever listen to him. when i went to a pro trainer, the first thing he said to me when we asked if hed give me lessons was "we always ride for the blue, & the worse case senario on a bad day, second. you can either take it seriously or not botherwasting either one of our time" ....he started off with a "either listen or get the helll outta my barn" attitude towards me which got my attention & knew he wsa serious. i now take every aspect of riding seriously. going to a non-relative trainer was the best thing to ever happen to me.

Zanesgirl 07-08-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezeypoo&lt (Post 3)
when i first started taking actual lessons,it was with my cousin who wasnt neccesarily an instrucotr, but he owned/bred/broke/ & occasionally showed his horses. where i was so familiar with him, I didnt pay attention to what he was sayin -i didnt take it seriously. cosequently, i picked up a lot of bad habits because he just gave up on the fact that id ever listen to him. when i went to a pro trainer, the first thing he said to me when we asked if hed give me lessons was "we always ride for the blue, & the worse case senario on a bad day, second. you can either take it seriously or not botherwasting either one of our time" ....he started off with a "either listen or get the helll outta my barn" attitude towards me which got my attention & knew he wsa serious. i now take every aspect of riding seriously. going to a non-relative trainer was the best thing to ever happen to me.

I got pretty much the same thing when i started out