The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Can't decide which horse to sell. Any advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/cant-decide-horse-sell-any-advice-110770/)

flyinghooves 01-25-2012 08:49 PM

Can't decide which horse to sell. Any advice?

We are moving in a few months to colorado and I have to face facts that I might need to sell one of my angels. I will be boarding and as you all know it cost a lot of $$$. Cocoa is my 1st horse. She is a halflinger mix 14.3 and my baby. I can't imagine letting her ago and the thing that scares me is I don't want her to later down the road end up at a slaughter house or starving somewhere. She is special to me but not sure if anyone else would think she is anything great. My other horse J.R. is a 11 yr old appendix 16 hands he is beautiful and athletic but I do not show I just ride for fun. He's sweet but I never have really bonded with him...(maybe b/c I still have cocoa) he is deffinately a challenge for me...and I know that's good thing so that I can keep improving as an equestrian. However I just know that J.R. would sell better and I would always worry about where cocoa is. I don't want to see either of them go at all but life doesn't always go our way. Help me! How do you guys make a decision about something soooo emotional?

Creampuff 01-25-2012 09:37 PM

This is how my friend boiled it down...

Four horses. Now pregnant. One horse is her retired ex-barrel horse that we found starved and literally on the brink of death at a "rescue auction." Another she got from the same "rescue seller" (who didn't have it for 24 hours), that was in a barn fire but beginner safe and cute. For the second horse I listed, she got a mini for company. All 3, geldings. Her last was a $150 mare with great bloodlines that she wants to show.

With her pregnancy she didn't want a lot of the work... So she sold the "fire survivor" and the mini as a pair. They've gone to a great home and are pets to a 5th-grade girl (sister to a trainer). She's keeping the retiree and the new showing mare... So obviously she kept the two that are the most valuable to her and where she wants to go with horses. ;)

Good luck... I know it's a hard decision to make. But it must be done... You can look up different sellers' stories to learn how to pick out the "bad seeds" while selling horses to ensure the best home.

Saddlebag 01-25-2012 09:45 PM

Have you checked around for nearby farms that might board. Sometimes farmers who grow their own feed will take on a couple of boarders for some extra cash and for something to eat the extra feed. Usually they are much cheaper. Might be basically pasture care. Farmers can usually stand having a little help as the work is never ending so if you are willing and capable of pitching in sometimes it might work out well for both of you.