The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What drills do you do? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-drills-do-you-do-110790/)

SorrelHorse 01-26-2012 02:41 AM

What drills do you do?

On your barrel horse, what kind of drills do you guys do?

I do quite a few random drills depending on the day...But right now I'm doing a LOT of spiral drills on my prospect and a lot of all-rights and all-lefts with Bailey.

cowgirlup07 01-26-2012 07:16 AM

lots of right and left TONS of walking the pattern and lope the pattern as little as possible. Otherwise I let my horse have fun. Its always worked on my barrel horses.

MangoRoX87 01-26-2012 11:34 AM

I do lots of figure 8s, pole bending lead changes with no poles, I want to find my 4th barrel so I can set up different patterns like square barrels, funnel barrels, barrels in a straight line, etc. I don't do a lot of pattern work, but then again my barrels are on grass so I have to keep it to an easy walk.

beau159 01-26-2012 11:13 PM

Everything. :-D

Figure 8's, spirals, rollbacks, flying lead changes, spins, leg yields, circles, sidepassing, turns on the fore and haunches, random turns (around poles or barrels ... or round bales in the hayfield!), small jumps, etc

Any and everything I can think of. Pretty much just make it up as I go, unless we are having a specific problem with the barrel pattern or pole pattern, then I work on things that pertain to fixing that problem.

angelslittlegun 02-02-2012 01:55 AM

with my barrel horse i always do everything slow about 30 mins of just walking sometimes. i alway love going back to basics and working on equation and keeping my horses gaits nice and smooth working on basic walk to trot transitions seems to help cool my horse down. if working for my barrel pattern i working with tires sometimes it is awesome. i throw down 4 tires (you can use cones or even poles; but i prefer tires because they are about the same size of a barrel) put the tires into a 4 cornered square an practice bending and turning, halting my horse before taking a turn. it helps to take barrels out of the picture for my barrel horse and the tires are about the same cirrcuference so my turns don't get messed up. also just having some fun with your barrel horse can help de-stress them i love to get of my horse sometime and do running racing on the ground and build some team bonding with you mount. hope this helps and happy racing! :-)

sierrams1123 02-03-2012 03:26 AM

Turning ant hills in the pasture has always been a fun little drill I like to do.
I also like to do a good bit of bend and flex work like figure eights and such.
I will also set barrels up in random patterns and scatter them around the arena and do slow work around them, just working on proper body placement and such around them, not so much the speed thing. I also try not to do the same thing everyday. I no longer run the actual pattern at home on my mare, she is finished (for the most part just needs more seasoning). I will take her every once in a blue moon to local arenas to do some practice runs on her other then the shows we go to every month.
Other then that, I trail ride the crap out of her.