The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Young Blood *Graphic* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/young-blood-%2Agraphic%2A-110830/)

crimson88 01-26-2012 01:16 PM

Young Blood *Graphic*

*graphic*

Typically, I don't watch PETA or SHARK, but this video caught my eye. This is horrible and very hard to watch. I am not anti-horse racing, I just wish that some of the breeders and trainers wouldn't push their young horses so hard. Bleh it sickens me.

amp23 01-26-2012 02:09 PM

I don't usually watch things like that either, but wow.. It's unacceptable for horses that young to be pushed so hard. It's one thing to be pushed hard once physically and mentally able to handle it, but that's so sad.

loveduffy 01-26-2012 02:33 PM

Wow that is fu===bad

Maple 01-26-2012 04:41 PM

146 Attachment(s)
He contradicted himself - At several points they state these are two year olds, but he makes a point of saying yearlings. We call these Breezeups. Also, the horse was given a handful of taps, he wasn't "whipped into it". They tend to lightly breeze the horse for about half a mile and ask for more speed in the last furlong. In a race, one would like to expect a horse to give more speed in the final furlong.

It wouldn't be bad for him to have his facts right. Shame to see breakdowns, but thousands of horses are sold at breeze up every year and we've seen a handful of them breakdown. The only thing I agree with is the fact that the breeze ups don't really say much to what a horse is capable of.. we actually avoid breeze ups as we buy ours at yearling sales only and tell our customers to avoid the breeze ups as they tend to either a) be bought as yearlings as people looking for a quick buck or b) not be good enough to get into the yearling sales anyway.

Golden Horse 01-26-2012 04:55 PM

I don't care if he did contradict himself, I for once find myself actually agreeing with PETA, these are babies being asked to go to full exertion. Worse these are babies who are being bred with ever and ever lighter bones, I'm afraid that this will become more and more common.

Perhaps when it does happen more often and more people get hurt they will look at the whole racing industry and make some changes, even just pushing everything back for one year would make a difference, and would only affect the industry for the change over year.

mystykat 01-27-2012 01:29 PM

No volume. But uhm WOW. That's disgusting. Don't know a lot about racing but I hope that's not a regular occurance..

VT Trail Trotters 01-27-2012 11:16 PM

Oh my god, holy "bad words" and some more "bad words"!!!!! It is very graphic but a little ways before 1:60 the horses bottom leg where it connects to the hoof "bad word" rips off and it keeps running!!!!!! I dont know why people would run horse at age 2!?!?! I almost want to cry!

caseymyhorserocks 01-27-2012 11:27 PM

THIS is why I believe horse racing is cruel. It would not half as bad if the horses were raced when they were older... I see really no use in racing this young of horses, they are faster and won't break down if they are older...

tinyliny 01-27-2012 11:29 PM

I started the video but could not watch the whole thing. I have seen these things happen in real life at the track and I have a visceral reaction just remembering it. It's horrible.

VT Trail Trotters 01-27-2012 11:41 PM

That is like using me, who is horrible at running and cant run, LOL and having me run lets say 5 miles strait no break. I would easily break down, i mean it litterally too.