The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Advice for bareback comfort?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/advice-bareback-comfort-110862/)

snookums 01-26-2012 06:05 PM

Advice for bareback comfort??

All I can say is... OUCH!

This winter I have decided to do all my riding bareback, as I'm trying to improve at that. Unfortunately, I have a high whithered quarter horse, with a fast bouncy trot, and as anyone could imagine it's quite painful for me. And I'm not talking about my legs... All you bareback ladies know what I'm talking about! :shock:
Walking, sitting trot, and cantering is not a huge problem, its mostly at a posting trot, when i keep running into his withers. (OUCH!)

What have you guys done to make bareback riding more comfortable? I've gotten mixed reviews on bareback pads, so if anyone has a particular brand or style pad they like, please let me know. ANY advice to help my situation would be greatly appreciated.

sierrams1123 01-26-2012 06:09 PM

I am not much help, I do not use a bareback pad.
I also have a QH with the same issue but I don't seem to have the same problem as you are having, maybe you are sitting to far forward.

Skipsfirstspike 01-26-2012 08:09 PM

Hmm, in all honesty, when I ride bareback, it is either a walk, jog, or canter. No big trots allowed! lol

mudpie 01-26-2012 08:22 PM

Make sure you're staying with him in your hips(: Also, pull your crotch in to your belly button (not literally, dear, but think of it that way).

snookums 01-26-2012 08:32 PM

I'm confused on what you mean by pulling my crotch into my belly button? I am female, remember (he he he.. sorry couldn't resist,) but seriously I'm just unsure of what that entails.

mudpie 01-26-2012 08:33 PM

Pretty much just lift your pelvis a little bit. People have a tendency to sit on their pubic bone.

harryclifford 01-26-2012 08:49 PM

Why are you posting-trot bareback?! I know it's strengthening etc, but I really wouldn't bother - I just sit to the trot :) one bit of advice - a lot of horses will put in a GIANT trot stride on the way down from canter, and that is NOT comfy if unexpected and bareback! O.o
Posted via Mobile Device

snookums 01-26-2012 09:14 PM

I'm mainly posting to build up leg muscles, and keep my horse keen on being able to alternately jog and extended trot. If all I do is a sitting jog, he starts to lose his extended trot (and vice versa). And yes, I have maimed myself a few times when Reno came out of a canter unexpectedly.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-26-2012 09:20 PM

I don't ride with a bareback pad so no advice there. I have mostly fluffy QH's but have been riding my high withered Hanoverian mare bareback a lot lately. As long as I can stay fluid sitting her rather large trot I'm good but if we're not in sync it's a killer.

cowgirlup07 01-26-2012 10:03 PM

the best way I have found is to sit further back on your horse if you doing big trots. I don't use bareback pads at all, I personally don't like them at all. My opinion if your riding bareback then bareback is what it should be lol. It helps with balance and strength when you ride with nothing but you on your horses back. I ride bareback all the time so feel free to ask away at any questions you have. I've even done some dressage and ALOT of jumping bareback on appendix horses, qh's and tb's.