The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I have to load my geding backwards in order for him to load into a trailer!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-have-load-my-geding-backwards-110876/)

Elizabeth Bowers 01-26-2012 07:37 PM

I have to load my geding backwards in order for him to load into a trailer!!

I have a 17yr old appaloosaXquarterhorse, and he was only in a trailer once. It was a homemade contraption, it didn't have a roof and was very open. My 20yr old gelding walked right into the trailer. But my other one had to be loaded backwards. I didn't want to do it, but every time i walked him to the trailer he would plant his front feet just inches from the step (it had no ramp). I've tried everything to get him in, and nothing worked, except for that. Once he was in he was fine. But how can i help him realize that its ok to get into the trailer???
He can be very difficult sometimes.
Any advice would be very helpful!!
Thank You!!!

Skyseternalangel 01-26-2012 07:57 PM

I highly suggest you guys start working on this:

Quote:

The Sending Exercise is a handy tool that can be used in a number of situations you encounter with your horse on a daily basis. As prey animals, horses are claustrophobic by nature, and when made to go through tight, narrow spaces, they naturally want to use the reactive side of their brains. This exercise will be beneficial in helping your horse use the thinking side of his brain whenever he’s in a situation he’s not comfortable with. It’s an especially useful exercise to teach a horse how to load into a trailer, getting him to cross over spooky objects and to follow the feel of halter pressure behind his ears. Remember, the more you move your horse’s feet forwards, backwards, left and right and reward the slightest try, the more respectful he will get and the more he will use the thinking side of his brain.
Source: Training Tip of the Week: Benefits of the Sending Exercise. - Barnmice Equestrian Social Community

Here is a video:

Elizabeth Bowers 01-27-2012 10:10 AM

Thank You!! Hopefully i'll be able too once we get a break in this crazy weather!! Your help is very much appreciated!! :)

Skyseternalangel 01-27-2012 03:52 PM

You're very welcome :) Let me know how it goes!

equiniphile 01-27-2012 04:04 PM

You know, I knew someone a long time ago whose horse would only load backwards. They loaded him backwards, trailered him backwards, and unloaded him by walking him out the back after the trip. It was a habit she could never break, but it worked fine for them.

I recommend watching Monty Roberts in one of his trailer loading demonstrations. I'm usually not a big fan of him, but what he does for trailer loading has the most difficult loaders loading in under 15 minutes. He has a program on HRTV, but there's probably one of his loading demos on YouTube somewhere.

Elizabeth Bowers 01-27-2012 04:15 PM

Ok i'll keep those ideas and habits in mind. He was only every trailered once in his whole entire life.
Thank You for the tips and ideas!!! :)