The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   OTTB trouble balancing right lead canter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ottb-trouble-balancing-right-lead-canter-110927/)

czarinaruss 01-27-2012 10:42 AM

OTTB trouble balancing right lead canter

Need some suggestions on how to balance my new ottbs right lead canter. He leans in SO bad and Im at a loss as to how to correct it. I've tried side reins, balancing reins, lifting him on the inside when riding and nothing seems to help.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoxyRoxy1507 01-27-2012 10:53 AM

first of all we need to know how long have you been riding/training him? how much training has he had off the track? he may not be strong enough yet to have a balanced canter to the right

czarinaruss 01-27-2012 11:05 AM

He's been off about a year now. Let down for 6 months and slowly started back to work this fall. He's developed some good muscle and doesn't have problems carrying himself in frame or in other gaits or to the left. Im not trying to rush him as I understand slow and steady is best. I've just noticed every method I and our trainer know of to work w/this issue doesn't seem to be yielding much results so I'm looking for suggestions. I know he's capable because he will get it for a few strides but then fall apart. I have also had him chiropracted as well as tested for lymes.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoxyRoxy1507 01-27-2012 12:02 PM

then it might be an issue caused by the rider. can you get a video? that would help immensely then we could try pin point where the issue is exactly

czarinaruss 01-27-2012 12:03 PM

He's been off about a year now. Let down for 6 months and slowly started back to work this fall. He's developed some good muscle and doesn't have problems carrying himself in frame or in other gaits or to the left. Im not trying to rush him as I understand slow and steady is best. I've just noticed every method I and our trainer know of to work w/this issue doesn't seem to be yielding much results so I'm looking for suggestions. I know he's capable because he will get it for a few strides but then fall apart. I have also had him chiropracted as well as tested for lymes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silvera 01-27-2012 05:11 PM

You could try doing some small circles inside your large circle. Start at the trot and every time he drops his shoulder, take up the inside rein and help him pick up the inside shoulder. Use your inside leg to help with the bend. It won't take him to long before he starts balancing himself.

Once he can balance in the trot then you can try in the canter. Don't worry if he needs to break to the trot for the first little bit. You don't want your small circle to small, otherwise he won't be able to maintain the gaits.

Also the other thing you might want to consider is that he may not be capable of bending properly. A lot of OTTB's could use chiro. Most have issues through the lower back and hip area.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-27-2012 05:19 PM

I agree with foxy that is results are not yielded by "normal" methods, it is likely an imbalance in the rider which causes the horse to be unable to do something. I have a tight right hip, guess what issue I have when riding? Right lead canter.

It might be helpful for you to rife different horses and notice what issues you have that are the same on every horse, and then try to correct your own body.

6 months undersaddle is also not a very long time to build muscle required for a good canter. The combination of chipping away at correcting your imbalances and the horses is going to be painfully slow, riding other horses might be good for you just in the aspect of teaching your body to be straight.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device