The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle pad rubbing hair off horse's back!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-pad-rubbing-hair-off-horses-110929/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-27-2012 10:53 AM

Saddle pad rubbing hair off horse's back!?

2 Attachment(s)
Every winter, this seems to happen to my mare...she is a very "wiggly butt" mover, IE she has a naturally back and forth movement rather than up and down like some other horses. What seems to happen is that with the back and forth movement, the saddle pad moves and rubs off the hair underneath where it's moving. The attached pics are of my mare's back and you can see where the pad has rubbed on top (hair is really thin and appears to be dark since she has black skin and you can see it through), and you can tell where down the sides of the back of the pad it has broken the hair as well.

The strange thing is that this rubbing is BEHIND the saddle, NOT under the panels directly (we placed the saddle on her back in the correct spot to make sure of that). I have tried using a really thick poly pad, a super thin baby pad, and everything in between with no luck! I've even tried taking some of that "sticky" material that you use to line your cupboards with and putting it under the pad and it just moves right along with the pad!! :evil:

Anyone else have this issue and how did you correct for it? For now, when I'm jumping I just use a fitted pad so that there IS no pad back there to rub, but what the heck will I do for dressage??

goingnowhere1 01-27-2012 07:26 PM

my horse has the exact same problem. and the saddle was checked and it fits perfect I also use a raiser pad and sheepskin. I don't really have any advice (still trying to find out the problem myself) but I'll be happy to see what everyone else says

eventerdrew 01-27-2012 07:31 PM

I would be interested to see what would happen if the saddle pad was lined in sheepskin or you just used a sheepskin pad under her saddle.

Mattes makes full square pads that are lined in sheepskin on the back.

equiniphile 01-27-2012 08:40 PM

Have you tried a thin kitchen towel under the pad?

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-28-2012 09:02 AM

Hmm where would I get sheepskin to put under the current pad?
Posted via Mobile Device

eventerdrew 01-28-2012 06:34 PM

this is the one I was talking about

Mattes Square Sheepskin Pad- Dressage - Dressage Pads from SmartPak Equine

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-28-2012 09:39 PM

Oh I've seen those drew, they're nice although very expensive...have you seen the Ecogold pads?? They are nice and a little less harmful to the pocketbook! ;)

https://www.ecogold.ca/index.php?cPa...crpfobuc5itks3
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-28-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1329672)
Have you tried a thin kitchen towel under the pad?

no I haven't but a friend recommended a Sham Wow so as soon as those arrive I'll be giving them a try!!
Posted via Mobile Device

somoni 01-28-2012 11:01 PM

well, that`s the problem of your pad,dont use poly pads, use sheepskin pad, especially the Australian sheepskin. here are some samples. you may have a look. Merino Sheepskin Saddle Pad Brown Fleece English Horse Pads

waresbear 01-28-2012 11:08 PM

I like wool as well, natural fibers tend to wick moisture away and not rub your horse's hair the wrong way.