The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   4x4 truck vs 4x2 questions (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/4x4-truck-vs-4x2-questions-110930/)

nyg052003 01-27-2012 11:01 AM

4x4 truck vs 4x2 questions

Ok looking around for a GMC Sierra 1500 2007-2012, I have seen alot of 4x4's for sale that had everything I am looking for as far as fully loaded, 20 inch wheels, leather, and some chrome accessories. I won't be doing any offroading at all and at most will pull a horse trailer sometimes. I won't be pulling a horse trailer that often though as I havent even bought the trailer yet.

I have always heard to stay away from 4x4's cause when they break they are more expensive to fix. But if I buy one that hasnt been offroaded at all or very little, will that even matter as far as it breaking anything 4x4 related? I would prefer to buy a 4x2 but if I found the one I was looking for that had all the options I wanted and also the right color and it was a 4x4 and the price was right, that might be a can't pass up deal lol. Also, what about insurance rates 4x2 vs 4x4? That would play into my decision also.

thoughts guys?

~*~anebel~*~ 01-27-2012 11:56 AM

I would never haul again without a 4*4 truck. Regardless of whatever extra associated costs, they are worth it when you can haul through snow and ice and not end up in the ditch! And not get stuck in muddy horse show grounds...
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-27-2012 01:58 PM

As for insurance rates, it's based on the worth of the vehicle, so if the 4x4 is worth more than a 2 wheel drive, it's going to cost more to insure. 4x4s are handy, esp. if you get caught in mud, snow or whatnot. If all things being the same, I would pick the 4x4. It's not really much of an option for me, I live in an area where there is snow & ice, a 4x4 is a necessity not a luxury.

VT Trail Trotters 01-27-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1328998)
I would never haul again without a 4*4 truck. Regardless of whatever extra associated costs, they are worth it when you can haul through snow and ice and not end up in the ditch! And not get stuck in muddy horse show grounds...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yah, especially in a snowy state(s). And if you gotta tow the trailer with the horse in a dirt road that can be muddy or wet grass. Short story... i was at the Vermont Trail Trotter hunter pace last year and it was sprinkling out and it rained the night before and this is Oct. so the hill the trailers had to parked on was not mowed and a good length. So this gal with a 4X2 truck was pulling a 2 horse trailer up the hill and not even that far and the trucks tires were slipping with 1 horse in the trailer, and everyone else had 4WD and was able to make it, so go 4X4.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-27-2012 07:49 PM

The driveway to the barn is on an uphill... its fun when we run events and have to unload horses on the driveway because the people with 2WD cant tow up the snow pack. It's especially fun when the horse in the trailer is an 18hh stallion and the paddock beside the driveway is full of mares :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 01-28-2012 12:01 AM

4X4 costs a bit more, takes more maintenance and some times the same tasks are harder. Plus they burn more gas Generally they are only more to insure in the small trucks and if you are young single male.
You may own it 20 years and never use it.
Then one day you will really really really wish you had it.
I would only buy one that is all stock and hasnt been screwed with.

Delfina 01-28-2012 12:57 AM

I have a GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 with extended cab.

BEST purchase ever! I have to keep reminding myself that the horse trailer or trailer of hay is behind it.

As far as 4x4, I wouldn't ever buy a truck without it. Snow, mud, yuck... I've hauled through it without an issue. I have zero desire to go offroading but when the tractor refused to start this week, I ended up dragging 1600lb hay bales behind my truck through the pasture. Heated leather seats are beyond awesome.... drove 3 hours through a mini-blizzard the other night and was in heaven.

20 years? I've had mine less than a year and it's been USED! Barns don't have neat, tidy, paved roads!

Bridgertrot 01-30-2012 02:29 PM

I would also suggest getting a 4x4 over a 2WD. I don't haul horses much anymore (don't have one at the moment) but we do have rock crawlers that we haul all over. One of our friends has a 2WD Ford and he tried to pull his crawler up a dirt hill, mind you it wasn't even wet, and it bogged down, stopped, and started rolling backwards. He jack knifed and went into a ditch. Was hard trying to recover that.

We tried the same hill in 2wd just to see if we could do it with a similar load. Our truck also bogged down and stopped but didn't roll back. Turned on the 4wd and it went right up.

I would never have a 2wd tow rig. Helps greatly in snow too. Also, you shouldn't have any problem with things breaking on a 4wd. They are generally built tougher. Unless you had some underlying problem or abuse it...but with maintainence it should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

midnighthighway 03-13-2012 11:23 PM

Here in my part of Colorado, it doesn't really work to not have a car/truck with 4x4 in the winter. So, my family's only got 4x4 vehicles. Theyre good for towing and everything said above. I haven't really pulled anything trailer wise with a vehicle that just has 2WD so im not sure.

Bridgertrot 03-14-2012 12:54 AM

Same place I live. 4x4 in Colorado is pretty much a must.
Posted via Mobile Device