The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   To register, or not to. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/register-not-110933/)

draftgrl 01-27-2012 12:39 PM

To register, or not to.

So as some of you know, I recently purchased a Gypsy Vanner/ Quarter horse colt.

He will be gelded in the spring. What I'm wondering, aside from showing ownership of him, and to give him a bit of a better chance of life if I were to HAVE to let him go, or if I die (lets hope not!), what would be the benifit of registering him?

I need to do some more research of being able to register him, but the current owner of his sire (Stud Page) through e-mails has said that I could register him as a half Gypsy. I personally don't care either way if he is, or is not registered. Just don't know whether or not it would be worth the time and money to do so.

Thanks!

Eolith 01-27-2012 01:01 PM

DEFINITELY register. People like being able to know with 100% certainty what their horse is. If your horse were somehow sold or lost to someone who didn't know much about him, there would be nothing to prove for sure that he's a Gypsy Vanner / QH and not a Paint / Draft, or even a Mustang cross. People like being able to look at papers and trace the history of their horse. They like being able to see the sire's name, look him up, find out about other progeny etc etc.

Let's just say, if you had bought your horse from someone other than his breeder who didn't really know him, wouldn't you like being able to find out more about where he came from, how old he really is, and so on?

Registry is also a really good way to prove ownership if the need ever arose and it provides a detailed identification of the horse.

I am planning to register my mustang. I don't even know anything about his sire or dam, but being able to say with 100% certainty that he IS a Kiger Mustang and not just a random dun horse will most definitely aid him if he were ever to be sold.

mystykat 01-27-2012 01:06 PM

If there's an option to it's always better to register. There's really no reason not to, and it's best to do it while they're young, it only gets more expensive as they age.

draftgrl 01-27-2012 01:06 PM

Thanks! I guess I just needed that lil push to actually do it. lol. The only registered horse I've ever had was an arab stud (which I did have gelded).

Spyder 01-27-2012 01:15 PM

Unless the registry is asking an arm and a leg to register it is best to do so.

Check out the registry the previous owner offered, there may be benefits like points for competitions entered. They can be fun to aim for if offered in that registry.

draftgrl 01-27-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1329030)
Unless the registry is asking an arm and a leg to register it is best to do so.

Check out the registry the previous owner offered, there may be benefits like points for competitions entered. They can be fun to aim for if offered in that registry.

Yes! That would be fun!! This summer I will be bringing him to the local club shows in showmanship! Real excited :)

WSArabians 01-27-2012 02:41 PM

I don't have any unregistered horses (26) and never will. Everything I breed for will have their heritage go with them. I think that's only fair to them.
For showing too, on a mare serious level, requires horses to be registered. Arabians, anyway.
Plus you got that record if he ever goes missing or stolen as proof of ownership.

LadyDreamer 01-29-2012 04:45 PM

Here is a good article:
http://www.trot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114

flyinghooves 01-31-2012 10:07 PM

I would register him... horses sell better that way and for more money. If you don't do it for yourself do it for him just incase something ever happend