The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mosquitoes! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mosquitoes-11095/)

newhorsemom 07-06-2008 11:32 AM

Mosquitoes!

Our mare is getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes this summer. We have been using "Mosquito Halt" but it isn't doing the trick. She has big swollen welts all over her body. They don't seem to bother her too much or be too itchy when we're brushing or riding her, but I would think she has to be uncomfortable. We have also tried the fly sheet but she doesn't like it and tries to rub/roll/shake it off. It makes me nervous that she might catch her hoof/leg in the straps and hurt herself. She is better with a fly mask so we use that daily.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

BluMagic 07-06-2008 06:06 PM

Has she had a westnile shot?

I just use flyspray. Lots of it. And a sheet occasionally.

PoptartShop 07-06-2008 06:14 PM

Flyspray!!! :D :D I use Absorbine fly spray...it's awesome, & works wonders! Sheets are also good...have you tried a fly hood? Maybe he'd like that?

buckaroo2010 07-06-2008 08:46 PM

I would make sure she has had her shots since you say she is getting eatten by them sont want her to get westnile!!! The only thing I kno is Fly spray! :)

newhorsemom 07-07-2008 01:12 PM

Yes, she had her West Nile in early June. We now know that we can never slack on that one!! I think we're just going to put extra fly spray on until the skeeters die down and hope for the best. Poor thing, she had welts all over!! Of course it has been a yucky, rainy, cold spring/early summer here in the PNW so the skeeters have been horrible!

Thanks for the input!

appylover31803 07-07-2008 01:16 PM

is she mostly indoors or out?

It's been rather rainy by me and my horses are kept out all the time and they seem to be ok.

It may be that they are able to keep moving, where as stalled horses are limited.

I also put this cream on any bumps i see. When i go to the barn, i'll see what it is called. It says it helps with bug bites and itching.

kickshaw 07-07-2008 02:35 PM

also, make sure there's no standing water where they can breed :)

newhorsemom 07-08-2008 10:15 AM

Our horse can come and go from her paddock in/out of her stall and she has turnout on acreage every afternoon for a few hours. Unfortunately, there is a retaining pond just outside one of the pastures with plenty of standing water. :(

farmpony84 07-08-2008 10:41 AM

you can try a vinegar and water mix. it stinks but it seems to work...

Deussa 07-09-2008 10:15 PM

Endure Fly Spray It Is The Best Stuff! it is sweat proof soak her in that and it should put it to a stop!