The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse's Trust (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-trust-110991/)

MangoRoX87 01-27-2012 10:23 PM

Horse's Trust

1 Attachment(s)
You trust you horse, but it feels awesome when your horse trusts you.

I never really thought about it until recently..
My 21 year old mare is at the bottom of the pecking order. When it's feeding time, she stays well away from the other horses until you come, put a hand on her neck and take her to her stall. She knows the only thing stopping the other horses from chasing her and kicking her is me..
I remember at the NRHA Futurity in December, they didn't tell us about the bank that they put in the middle of the arena, shrinking our drill space to half what it normally is. We didn't have a single chance to look at it, me and my partner had to gallop in straight for it..Rosie snorted and tried to duck away from it many times, and with lots of "eeeasy Rosie" 's every time we went by it, she slowly did much better, even in just a six minute drill. She would NOT have gone through with the entire drill if she didn't at least slightly trust me:)

VT Trail Trotters 01-27-2012 10:28 PM

I trust Jack alot, very nice horse and is aware of you and will listen very well, love him.

Walkamile 01-27-2012 10:32 PM

Great story Mango. Yes, I trust my girl T totally, and she does me. With her eye sight fading, it is more apparent .

With Walka, it was pointed out to me that the horse trusts me, but I don't him. Very true. I'm working on that . He's a wonderful horse, he's just not T (his mother). I need to build my trust with him, like I did with her.

tinyliny 01-27-2012 10:34 PM

it is wonderful to see how horses put their lives (the most precious thing they have) in our hands. That's some serious trust.

Skyseternalangel 01-27-2012 10:35 PM

We're still building our trust. But he is learning to trust me. I've only had him a year!

In the saddle, we're working out the kinks. He's starting to trust me more. And I'm letting loose and trusting him enough to canter on my own.

Now just to trust myself and him enough to go without stirrups..

OH!!! Today is a great example!

As you know, horses and clippers don't go well together unless they're very broke to them, they're twitched, drugged.. otherwise 'desensitized.'

Today I managed to not only clip my horse's bridle path, but trim a little on his elbow (terrible rain rot.. working on it!) all by myself. No freak outs. Not tied, not crosstied, not held by another person, not even in a rope halter! Just plain leather

He isn't clipper broke.. he didn't flinch, snort, back, toss, rear..

He stood there, sniffed it, looked at me, put his head down for his bridle path.. and gave me his leg for the elbow. And he stood there and let me do it.

So proud of him :)

mudpie 01-27-2012 10:37 PM

I trust Mudpie with my life, in more ways than one(: And he does trust me, too, which is a very special thing :D Love him more than life itself <3

csimkunas6 01-27-2012 10:39 PM

Ive had Rodeo for about a year! I got him young, Ive started to discover more and more that not only does he seem to have a pretty decent amount of trust in me, but he is very comfortable, and a completely different horse with me.

People at the barn were just telling me the other day about how mean he is, and how he tries to bite them, and kick them, and fight them and what not, but my husband and I dont have a single issue with him, and he is nothing but, for the most part, well behaved with us. Dont get me wrong, he has his naughty days, but he has more good days than bad.

I just love showing up to the barn and hearing his nicker, and seeing him trot up to me. It really makes my day!

xXSerendipityXx 01-28-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1329820)
You trust you horse, but it feels awesome when your horse trusts you.

I never really thought about it until recently..
My 21 year old mare is at the bottom of the pecking order. When it's feeding time, she stays well away from the other horses until you come, put a hand on her neck and take her to her stall. She knows the only thing stopping the other horses from chasing her and kicking her is me..
I remember at the NRHA Futurity in December, they didn't tell us about the bank that they put in the middle of the arena, shrinking our drill space to half what it normally is. We didn't have a single chance to look at it, me and my partner had to gallop in straight for it..Rosie snorted and tried to duck away from it many times, and with lots of "eeeasy Rosie" 's every time we went by it, she slowly did much better, even in just a six minute drill. She would NOT have gone through with the entire drill if she didn't at least slightly trust me:)

That's SO sweet<3 Is that a picture of you &her??

MangoRoX87 01-28-2012 12:19 PM

Yes!! She is the grey:)
Posted via Mobile Device

xXSerendipityXx 01-28-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1330404)
Yes!! She is the grey:)
Posted via Mobile Device

That's such a cool shot:D
Western riding looks so intense:-P