The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Alternative Forms of Exercise (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/alternative-forms-exercise-110994/)

SayiWont 01-27-2012 11:06 PM

Alternative Forms of Exercise

As my one and only new years resolution, I am going to try my hardest to lose some of the weight I need gone. I am 5'6" and currently 195lbs; I would like to get down to 150lbs before this summer.

I eat pretty healthy and try to consume very little chips and other junk food. I will occasionally have a piece of cake or some other homemade thing. But otherwise a pretty healty diet. My problem is the exercise portion. I can never get motivated enough to do traditional exercise (sit-ups, push-ups, etc). I also really have no place close by to go run. I live out in the country and it is all hills everywhere.

Does anyone know of any other alternative forms of exercise that I can do in the privacy of my own home? Something fun and changing? Something that feels more like fun then hardcore exercise?

Country Woman 01-27-2012 11:56 PM

I got myself an stationary bike
I am also 5'6 and I weigh 190 lbs
I would like to try to get down to 165
My sisters and daughter and I all have 1 problem
we have thunder thighs

am 5'6'' my daughter 5'8'' my younger sister 6'1'' and
my youngest sister is 5' 4''

redape49 01-27-2012 11:58 PM

I'm 5'6 190 as well =P I have a belly instead of thunder thighs! Wana trade =P

Country Woman 01-28-2012 12:04 AM

yea sure
and it does not help that my daughter works at Starbucks either lol

Country Woman 01-28-2012 12:08 AM

I had a free week at curves for women but the start up and monthly
fee was not in our price range

DraftyAiresMum 01-28-2012 12:16 AM

I have found that I suck at traditional forms of exercise. I feel stupid doing those exercise videos (tried Tae Bo once in college with my roommates and sucked at it and I've tried some others, but never stuck with them because I get irritated and unmotivated if I can't do it exactly right/like the instructors). Stationary bikes are boring, as are treadmills. Sit ups, push ups and all those...yeah, could never do very many, even though I used to be able to pick up a 50# bag of dog food on either shoulder and carry it from outside the vet clinic I worked at into our feed room without really breaking a sweat.

I have to be doing something outdoors and not really considered "exercise" in order to stick with it. So, I get out and hike. The great thing about hiking, is that no one cares what you look like or how much you weigh or anything like that. Heck, most of the time you're out there, you don't see anyone else anyway. And, depending on where you live, you can find some beautiful areas to hike in.

My friend and I were out exploring one day in my (four-wheel-drive) truck and followed some signs to this place: The Upper Verde River. Beautiful setting, varied terrain (great for working different muscle groups), and not another soul in sight.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...oftheriver.jpg

We did that hike and another one we found while trying to get to a different landmark we used to hike at in high school (called Saddlehorn...it's a small butte that looks like a saddlehorn...turns out it's private property now...epic fail) several times that summer and I lost a good 15lbs or so (lost fat, gained muscle, especially in my legs).

Country Woman 01-28-2012 12:20 AM

When I was younger and more fit I used to be able to lift 50lbs of alfalfa hay on to
the trailer that was when I was a teen

Pineapples 01-28-2012 01:30 AM

It's not exactly WITHIN the privacy of your own home...but if you own your place or have amenable landlords, garden! You can always find something to do in a garden; even be it digging, tilling, laying down raised beds, etc., for a new one. With a few handheld tools, it's awesome! Plus, I'm pretty sure that lifting and messing with those big bags of gardening soil is good for your belly. ;) You could grow veggies. It's very rewarding! And a little bit addictive.

Other than that, do some renovating? Painting makes ya sore everywhere, so it's got to be good for something! Wash the outside of your house, clean and detail your car, bicycle...haha. There is almost always something to do inside, right?

SportHorseHeaven 02-02-2012 03:49 AM

I have an xbox and use the kinect! Its great.... I love dancing but hate going to classes as everyone is usually already slim and fit! Lol I have lost so much weight it is unreal :) still got loads to go but I feel better. Also got into walking..... Or basic house chores but done with energy! When I dust I stand on my tiptoes then come done and so on...feel the calves burn :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 02-02-2012 03:43 PM

I use my stationary bike and I walk alot too