The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding on Foal heat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-foal-heat-111035/)

MyLittlePonies 01-28-2012 02:00 PM

Breeding on Foal heat

Alright everyone, this just came to mind and I thought about this quite a bit. Foal heat. Probably one word, but you get the point.

What are thoughts about breeding on foal heat? Is it easier to get her back in foal? Better to wait till next month to breed? Is it healthier to breed foal heat? I read an article in AQHA Journal and it interested me so much and I see people are talking about it on my FaceBook page. :) I'd like AS MANY opinions as possible please :wave:

MyLittlePonies 01-28-2012 02:36 PM

Here's an article on it :)
Foal Heat Breeding...

trainerunlimited 01-28-2012 07:34 PM

I am not a pro at all when it comes to breeding horses. I plan on breeding on the foal heat this year to AQHA reiner RC Fancy Step given a few things. My vet said that as long as my mare cleans out completely and doesn't have a difficult birth with anything damaged, there wouldn't be a problem. He said if anything like that occured to not even consider breeding her until the next cycle, so I guess it depends on if the mare's uterus isn't fighting anything off and is functional or not.

My friend always breeds his mares on foal heat and hasn't had any problems with them catching at that time, he doesn't even do a vet exam unless there was some sort of complication.

Faceman 01-30-2012 10:18 AM

I generally don't recommend breeding on the foal heat. If the mare is in good fleshy condition it doesn't hurt anything, and many people breed on the foal heat, but I prefer to wait for the second post foaling heat to make absolutely sure there is no lingering infection from the birthing process, which is a common cause of abortions. Waiting for the second heat also stabilizes the month in which your foals are born and avoids "creep", where the foal is born a month earlier each year until you have to finally wait a couple of months before breeding her...no big problem if you separate your stallion or do AI, but if you run your stallion with your mares, it means you have to isolate one or the other...

nrhareiner 01-30-2012 04:29 PM

I use regu mate to push back the mares foal heat to about 21 days. I find this works great. Have done it many times. I have better luck getting them back infoal can control when they come into heat. Makes the harder breeders and every other year mares catch better.

PaintsPwn 01-30-2012 11:38 PM

Personally we don't, and never will. Momma's got more important things to do like raising that baby then to be copulated with a stallion... and considering the one broodmare we do have is protective of her babies, she probably wouldn't let the stallion jump on her anyway.

trainerunlimited 01-30-2012 11:45 PM

I called my vet to see what he had to say about breeding on foal heat again and said he AI's a lot of horses on foal heat and doesn't have a lower catch rate than any other time, but hes the shiz!!! I also asked him about using regumate, he said he doesn't do it, but I like the sounds of that. You don't have to wait as long for a second heat cycle and it lets the mare have a little more time to clean out and get back to normal in there!

nrhareiner 01-30-2012 11:48 PM

I do it for 2 reasons. One is that my Dun It mare is an every other year mare if you do not. If you get her to skip her foal heat she has a much better chance of getting in foal. I also only breed AI even if it is my stallion. NO live cover here. However when I use an out side stallion is makes it much esier to get the timing correct when you need semen. Nothing like doing all the work then needing semen on a monday. Been there will never go there again.

trainerunlimited 01-30-2012 11:53 PM

Lol, that always sucks! I have only dealt with having a horse AI'd a couple times and have always taken them to the breeder to let them take care of it, although my mare was bred three times and didn't take, which is for the best, it would have been a very late foal. When do you give it?

nrhareiner 01-31-2012 12:07 AM

Regu mate? I start it just after the mare foals. Then I pull her between 15-21 days. Depending. I want her to cycle so I need semen on a Tu. Has worked very well for me and I got the information from a friend who has been breeding reining horses for over 45 years. Got to love those old timers. They know all the good tricks.