The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   *ATTENTION all ottb owners* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/%2Aattention-all-ottb-owners%2A-111065/)

annaleah 01-28-2012 06:35 PM

*ATTENTION all ottb owners*

Ok. I have been looking through every breed out there that might be a good fit for me and although I love arabs...I am being drawn to the thoroughbred...now, this is where I need your help...although i am not going to be buying til next winter...and I am just looking right now...I have found a couple very nice ottb that are very reasonably priced and seem to have nice temperments...I really need to know if all ottb are nut crazy or are there ones out there that are sweet, and mellow and that will not spaz out just out of nowhere. Also, I will mainly be using this horse for trail and some possible jumping too. Please set my mind at ease..the only reason I have stayed away from ottb is because I was worried they would be too 'hot'..Thank you all in advance for your advice and help.

alexischristina 01-28-2012 06:43 PM

I just gave up a lease on an OTTB because she was 100% bombproof, kid-safe, perfect level-headed hunter mount at five years old. I ended up buying an Appendix who had the spice and fire I was looking for :lol:
Honestly, most OTTB's with the proper retraining are going to be amazing mounts, the only thing you have to look out for is that they weren't thrown right into under saddle training the second they came off the track, it's not usually case, but it does happen- and then get them thoroughly checked over by the vet to make sure there's no injuries. TB's are amazing horses, if you can afford to feed them.

annaleah 01-28-2012 06:51 PM

Yes, I have heard that they not the easiest keepers in the world and that they can eat thier weight in gold! I remember as a child taking lessons on an older ottb and he was so mellow and easy to ride I often wondered 'how could he have been a racehorse?'

TexasBlaze 01-28-2012 06:55 PM

My ottb is three and i have to force her into a canter. Shes the sweetest calmest riding horse and two months off the track she's been riding trails like a champ.

feistymomma 01-28-2012 06:56 PM

My ottb is a lazy bum!!! He is not high strung at all. He was taken off the track after his first race because he wouldn't run. He is very level heeaded, and doesnt spook at anything. I think they are sweet horses and I plan on getting another one.

feistymomma 01-28-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBlaze (Post 1330782)
My ottb is three and i have to force her into a canter. Shes the sweetest calmest riding horse and two months off the track she's been riding trails like a champ.

My ottb doesn't want to canter either. He would love to just walk and trot all day long.

With Grace 01-28-2012 07:18 PM

I think like people, each one is going to be different. I lease a OTTB, she's 14 and almost always sweet and low key. But, she does have her days where she gets hot, cranky and spooky. I am also going to be purchasing my first horse next winter, and I will look for a TB. I've always had a thing for TB's...

Kayty 01-29-2012 05:21 AM

How much experience have you had?

If this is to be your first horse, I would strongly recommend that if you get an ottb, look at one that has had some solid training since finishing its racing career. Taking something straight off the track generally requires someone with a good deal of experience and bravery

Logibear24 01-29-2012 12:38 PM

My OTTB is the calmest and sweetest horse ever. he is fantastic on trails and is great with nervous horses going out for the first time he acts like the calm Leader and they all relax with him. He loves cuddles of any kind and is very smart and quick to learn. He still has enough zip when you ask for it which is nice :) I love his temperament and his personality and he was raced until he was six.

Highly recommend just getting a quick look over done on one though before you buy. Logan has some hip issues that he needs a chiropractor for but other then that he is sound. These guys work hard on the track so no telling what happens to them.

Good luck and let us know :)
Posted via Mobile Device

annaleah 01-29-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1331484)
How much experience have you had?

If this is to be your first horse, I would strongly recommend that if you get an ottb, look at one that has had some solid training since finishing its racing career. Taking something straight off the track generally requires someone with a good deal of experience and bravery

I've grown up with horses my whole life and have owned and showed them, so I've got the experience to handle one...I am looking although at ones that have already retired and are somewhat in thier 'retraining' mode already...I know better than to get one fresh off the track for I know they can be a handful, and although I've got experience...I do not have experience with ex-racehorses and would be afraid I'd mess the horse up rather than helping it transition into a new career...