The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle for a high withered TB (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-high-withered-tb-11108/)

blossom856 07-06-2008 06:31 PM

English saddle for a high withered TB

I need help finding a close contact saddle that can fit a high withered TB. I wanted to try the Wintec close contact but I wasn't sure it fit her withers. I just do local shows so I don't think having synthetic will be a problem. My budget is $600. Preferably this would include leathers, a bridle and a breastplate. I know I can get some good deals on ebay. So if there are good saddles more than $600 I'm still interested.

Abby 07-06-2008 07:02 PM

Silver Fox saddles are good for high withered horses.

blossom856 07-06-2008 07:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I just checked it out on horsetack review.com and everyone who wrote a review hates it. Most of them talk about how bad it sits on the horse.

3days3ways 07-06-2008 08:13 PM

go to your local tack store and ask to try some used ones. wintec's are good, but i've found the tree breaks easier. also, even with the adjustable tree it didn't fit my horse's back that well. we got a used barnsby i'm not sure how much it was but it's reallly comfortable.

Abby 07-06-2008 08:39 PM

Perhaps their horses weren't high withered and that is why they didn't sit correctly. I've found those saddles fit a high withered horse best, but not many others. They didn't fit my average withered quarter horse, or my wide backed Morgan without a breastplate but it fit Dixie like a glove, and she has high thoroughbred withers. If you can find one on trail, it wouldn't hurt to try it at least.

My2Geldings 07-06-2008 09:59 PM

I would stay away from wintec if you are going to show. Nothing against them but leather will look better. How soon do you need the saddle? What size of tree and seat do you need?

blossom856 07-07-2008 12:27 AM

I'm not in a big hurry. I need a narrow tree that will accommodate a high wither and no smaller than a 17in, but I'd prefer an 18.

My2Geldings 07-07-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossom856
I'm not in a big hurry. I need a narrow tree that will accommodate a high wither and no smaller than a 17in, but I'd prefer an 18.

Going to be tricky to find. Not many narrow trees around with that size of seat. Something that will probably have to be custom made. If you go with used you will probably have to settle with a large tree.

eBay has 2 narrow treed saddles but they are both smaller size seats, not the size 18 you want. On the other hand lots of 18 sized seat but the saddles have larger trees.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-16-2008 02:02 PM

so far the best saddles that fit high withered horses are from Thornhill. I have a Thornhill ProAm and it has fit both of my high withered TB's amazingly not to mention one of them is built like a warmblood and he had broken withers when he was little so it was very important to find a saddle that fit correctly and comfortably on him and they work great. The close contact saddles are not too expensive, so maybe you should take a look at those.

GallopingGrape 07-16-2008 03:14 PM

Ditto on the Thornhill.... Excellent saddles, not expensive, and fits high withered horses nicely...

(and are on sale right now)