The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse boredum causing issues.

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Hunter65 
#1 ·
Hey all, it's been a while.

Roger has lately been getting himself into trouble.

Right now he lives in a half acre lot with one other horse and a round bale.
His fellow lot mate is a serious cribber (probably 15 hours a day).

I've noticed Roger is starting to chew wood, buckets, and anything else he can get his hands (or hooves :D) on.
My fear is of him becoming a habitual wood chewer or even worse, a cribber.

He gets ridden probably 4 days a week. And until summer, he will not have access to a bigger pasture.

I'm looking at possible toys. Do you guys have a favorite?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Little rotters, huh? Monkey see, monkey do! Try a jolly ball or pouring apple cider vinegar on his grain (seen this work for a wood chewer, so might work on your horse). Other than that, maybe electric fence to make him back off.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. The funny thing is, the fence is partially electric. He mostly chews his wooden shelter.
All the horses there chew wood (I board). I'm starting to wonder what the deal is.

I understand stalled horses getting vices. But common' he's outside 24/7.

I was thinking about a jolly ball. Do you own one? Or know how they work

#5 ·
Smart rotters, he knows where the juice is on the fence, brat. Yes, my horses have a jolly ball, but since I opened up the paddock to the lower 10 acres, they took out it there & lost it. I heard one of those exercise balls for human is great fun as well. But face it, if your horse sees another horse chewing stuff, he will bow to peer pressure & do it too. In my experience, they always pick up bad habits from each other & ignore the good ones.

#6 ·
Haha he wouldn't care if he had the extra 20 acres of pasture to graze, but unfortunately my barn owner is very strict with his pastures and we will not have access until may.

My other problem is, the pony he's with (the idiot that taught him this) will probably spend his entire day playing with it. And obviously, if im spending 40 bucks on a jolly ball i want MY horse playing with it.

Can you tie them up? My horse is 17hh. The dumb pony is probably 12hh. Could I tie it out of the pony's reach? Haha

#7 ·
That's a good idea, maybe if you had a tree nearby that your horse can reach but brat pony can't? Tie it in the tree out of the pony's reach. If not, I wouldn't spend money on that pony's toys, little brat already caused enough problems for you. Oops, sorry, yes you can tie them, they have handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.