The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   How high do you think she could jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/how-high-do-you-think-she-111103/)

Sphi 01-28-2012 11:09 PM

How high do you think she could jump?

Hi guys!

I'm buying my first horse for college so I've been looking around online. I was wondering how high you guys think this particular horse would be able to jump. She hasn't had much training in jumping. She's 9 years old. Do you think she can learn to jump higher with practice, or does it look like she'd max out at like 2ft?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Oxer 01-29-2012 03:05 AM

i can guarantee that horse can jump bigger than that... however, does that mean that she will do it willingly and happily? Not always.

SorrelHorse 01-29-2012 03:09 AM

^ This

Alcatrazjmpr 01-29-2012 09:46 AM

I think she can definitely jump higher. Most horses will be able to do at least the 2'6 stuff. However, and maybe it's just me, she looks short strided, so if you are looking to seriously compete she may have trouble getting down the lines. Good luck on your search!

Sphi 01-29-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm not planning on competing with her. At college, at the shows, you randomly draw a horse to ride. I just want a horse that I can have fun with!

ErinMalone 01-30-2012 02:15 PM

I have a large quarter pony, everyone said she was maxed out at 2'6. As long as your horse is willing she could easily jump 3ft. She may jump so terribly with the jumps so small because they are small she doesn't need much effort. Try and put them up and see what you can get. It may take some work but every horse is worth it.

tlkng1 02-04-2012 07:43 AM

I agree with Alcatraz that the mare is short strided but that could also improve with training..she isn't using her hind end at all. I think she would need to be put back to basics, a lot of trot poles to get her to open up her stride. On a conformation issue, she looks to have a fairly straight shoulder, typical with what I am taking to be a QH build (or small draft cross?). It doesn't necessarily limit height but it can limit how tight they can get with their knees as they fold over the jump.

She's cute though :) and looks safe and willing and sometimes that is what is most important.

MudPaint 02-11-2012 09:20 AM

This horse doesn't scream talented jumper, but you never know, heart is half the battle. What concerns me is that her neck ties in in a way that encourages her to carry it low (excellent for paint or QH circuit shows) and she has a short down hill stride. I want to say she's uneven, built downhill... which will make it harder for her to rock back and jump.

Training could improve a lot of that and she seems quiet so she'd be a fun horse to just have a good time with. If you're really looking for something with jumping power but just for fun, you may want to look at a horse with a more upright or balanced carriage.

maura 02-11-2012 09:37 AM

This horse looks like a fabulous choice for a pleasure or trail horse. I suspect she's super comfortable to ride, with the short stride and little or no movement in her back. It looks as if the rider is barely posting, and and you could probably sit her with little or no effort.

I wonder if she was trained western previously, and if her odd trot was produced by somone trying to create a WP jog (badly)?

However, I agree with the other posters that these are not good qualities in a potential jumper. I think the amount of training and reschooling necessary to get her moving correctly and using herself in order to jump well might be better spent on a horse with more innate ability. She seems to be a lovely horse for trail and pleasure exactly the way she is; I don't know if it would be worth the time effort to reschool her for something else.