The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Getting back into english? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/getting-back-into-english-111105/)

HarleyWood 01-29-2012 12:37 AM

Getting back into english?

okay so today when i was showing in barrels with my horses my mom was talking to my Best Friends mom and she asked if i would like to work/ride/exersize her horse (she can, got injured not saposta(?) ride any more) hes 18(?) year old hanovarian(?) about 16.3 i belive and all black and out of shape i agreed ive wanted to get back into english and this is my chance. so i was wondering any tips its been about a year to a year and a half sense my last english ride on another horse that they sold. ive ridding english for 8 years but not as much as western, so i just wanted some tips. she wants him to get a bigger butt and lose the belly. also to get in shape. i would lunge (any advise for time for W/T/C) for the first week or two and before i ride.

any tips. advise? hes upper level dersage and from germany 10 years ago. ill probely get out to their stable 3 to 5 times a week just depends on whats going on at my house with my 3 horses. and if i have school days off. any good exersizes i can try with him?

tinyliny 01-29-2012 01:07 AM

If you havent' lunged in a while, get someone to show you how, first.

You will recover your Englishe seat in no time, I am sure.
Try working him over cavaletti and up/down hills. But that all depends on how secure you feel on this horse, and how out of shape he is.
Walking can be an excellent way to recover lost condition.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-29-2012 01:09 AM

To get horses back in shape after long periods of time out of work, generally the two worst things you can do are lunging and going faster than a walk. The combination is deadly on joints.

I would tack him up and hand walk or ground drive him in the walk only and then when you are fairly confident he's still broke, hop on and walk. I would only start short bursts of trot (1-2 minutes tops) after a few weeks, and start out on ground driving, then again undersaddle. After the first 4-5 weeks of only walk and trot, then try short bursts of canter.
If the horse is truly a schoolmaster from Europe he's going to know some stuff so don't cowboy up on him if he offers something like a haunches in or some short steps instead of what you thought you were asking for. He may have a lot of buttons and you have to figure them out. After about 6-8 weeks it should be ok to start really playing with the buttons and trying to figure out what everything does. At this point it might be useful to have the owner, or a Dressage coach come give you a lesson once a week as he should be fit enough to start some basic lateral work and things.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

HarleyWood 01-29-2012 01:11 AM

I lunge mine almost everyday. But I use a round pen while ill be in. A arena with him. I've sat on this horse a few years back and lead him from stall to paster a lot but that's pretty much it. I've watched her ride him for 8-9 years. And learned how to ride english from her. I feel pretty confident on all my friends horses. But its winter here and snows every where so its indoor riding for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarleyWood 01-29-2012 01:13 AM

She rode him a few times this fall and winter and he was great. Ill be asking her what she wants me to do. But wanted some advise and tips. He's out in pasture almost every day..
Posted via Mobile Device