The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane and Tail growth ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-tail-growth-ideas-111150/)

shaggy 01-29-2012 01:53 PM

Mane and Tail growth ideas?

So i was wondering about mane and tail growth. My horse shaggy got a chunk chewed from mane his back in the fall and he still has a gap in the middle of his mane and it also has that frizzy broken ends at the top of his tail like he's been scratching i guess. So I was thinking about getting some MTG for his mane but i've heard some greats things and some bad things about horses have reactions too it. So now I'm not sure weather to use it or not but i don't know what else to put on it? Also any ideas on how to help the broken ends at the top of his tail? I guess I should add that too do there being an unending amount of burrs in the field his in I have to brush his mane and tail every so often to get them out with help of cowboy magic (amazing stuff! BTW lol) I was also thinking since theres no bugs yet that i might use a tail bag on him hoping that emlintate the burrs in his tail and cut down on brushing it out? what do you guys think?

VT Trail Trotters 01-30-2012 08:44 PM

Not to sure, but i guess you mean broken ends/ split ends? I guess its his tail so you may be able to use shampoo stuff to fix the ends on the tail.

shaggy 01-30-2012 08:49 PM

it not the ends its the top of his tail lol

shaggy 01-31-2012 04:09 AM

why is not one posting on this. i could really use some ideas please!

caseymyhorserocks 02-01-2012 06:40 PM

I would just give MTG a go, reactions are pretty rare..

nascarcats 02-01-2012 07:35 PM

If he is scratching his tail on something, check the tail and see if you see flakes. If so, he is itchy and trying to scratch it. I had a mare who did the same thing. But my trainer told me to use baking soda on the tail to get rid of the flakes and the itching. And it worked. Her tail started to grow back out.

shaggy 02-01-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1337098)
I would just give MTG a go, reactions are pretty rare..

I'm going to try it soon as i can get to the tractor supply!

shaggy 02-01-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascarcats (Post 1337191)
If he is scratching his tail on something, check the tail and see if you see flakes. If so, he is itchy and trying to scratch it. I had a mare who did the same thing. But my trainer told me to use baking soda on the tail to get rid of the flakes and the itching. And it worked. Her tail started to grow back out.

yeah i figure it was scratching when he was in a stall now that he's out him hoping he won't be so scratchy but i'll defiantly try baking soda if i spot flakes! i know i seen some on his mane before wonder if work on that as well? lol

AnnaB264 02-03-2012 11:47 AM

The only thing to beware of is that M-T-G can cause the hair to become sunburnt. Listerine also seems to work for itchy, flaky skin. You can make your own verstion of M-T-G by mixing mineral oil, olive oil, and sulfur powder (which you can get from the garden supply store). I think it's the sulfur that helps with growth for some reason. Bacon grease works too... bacon is preserved with sulfur. (Or a derivitive thereof).

shaggy 02-04-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaB264 (Post 1339904)
The only thing to beware of is that M-T-G can cause the hair to become sunburnt. Listerine also seems to work for itchy, flaky skin. You can make your own verstion of M-T-G by mixing mineral oil, olive oil, and sulfur powder (which you can get from the garden supply store). I think it's the sulfur that helps with growth for some reason. Bacon grease works too... bacon is preserved with sulfur. (Or a derivitive thereof).

Cool thanks i didn't think about making my own lol and sunburn in meaning it'll bleach it out?