The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   General confo critique on this APHA mare. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/general-confo-critique-apha-mare-111176/)

ilovemyPhillip 01-29-2012 05:29 PM

General confo critique on this APHA mare.

Hi everyone,

I need some opinions on this mare:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/animalluvr2/090111114931.jpg?t=1327902373

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/animalluvr2/090111115017.jpg?t=1327902376

From what I get, funny looking wither, a little thin boned, her hocks look a tad straight? And her front legs just look.. short to me. Any and all feedback is appreciated. I might take this mare in as a trail/light fox hunter. She's free and I might have space.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 01-29-2012 05:50 PM

What I see:

Long back

Slightly sickle hocks

I'm not a fan of her neck (it looks...wonky)

Not a fan of her hind end in general (looks week to me, but I could be wrong)

Her shoulder looks maybe a little steep to me? Not entirely sure because of the way she's standing

She needs a lot of muscle, especially in her neck and topline...I think the "funny looking withers" you're seeing is just lack of muscle or a topline

And it looks like she needs a trim, especially on her front left and right hind (may just be the angle of the pic?)

ilovemyPhillip 01-29-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1332254)
What I see:

Long back

Slightly sickle hocks

I'm not a fan of her neck (it looks...wonky)

Not a fan of her hind end in general (looks week to me, but I could be wrong)

Her shoulder looks maybe a little steep to me? Not entirely sure because of the way she's standing

She needs a lot of muscle, especially in her neck and topline...I think the "funny looking withers" you're seeing is just lack of muscle or a topline

And it looks like she needs a trim, especially on her front left and right hind (may just be the angle of the pic?)

This pic is from the summer, she has front shoes on and gets trimmed every 6 weeks or so.
Thanks for the feedback, I'd definitely muscle her up. She seriously just sits in a paddock 24/7 with a bunch of old broodmares.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-29-2012 06:19 PM

I like her neck because the topside is twice as long as the underside and it comes out of the shoulder at a good angle, not too high. Her backend is slight, but she has a heartgirth I like. Her legs are ok, nothing major, but somewhat on the slight side. Could be just the unflattering pic, but her head looks common.

sierrams1123 01-29-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1332294)
I like her neck because the topside is twice as long as the underside and it comes out of the shoulder at a good angle, not too high. Her backend is slight, but she has a heartgirth I like. Her legs are ok, nothing major, but somewhat on the slight side. Could be just the unflattering pic, but her head looks common.

agreed!

with some TLC I think she would def look 10x better.

PaintsPwn 01-29-2012 08:57 PM

I don't think TLC or conditioning of any sort would help her much - but she's free and you know the saying 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'.

She's long in the back, her tail is high set which is more of an aesthetic thing. I don't like her legs at all, and that poor thing needs a good decent farrier who doesn't get her angles all out of whack. She has well defined withers, nothing strange about them - just a lot of people aren't use to seeing such nice withers on stock breeds.

I don't like her neck, it ties in too low, it's short and thick.

And... she might have an under-bite.

ilovemyPhillip 01-30-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 1332361)
I don't think TLC or conditioning of any sort would help her much - but she's free and you know the saying 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'.

She's long in the back, her tail is high set which is more of an aesthetic thing. I don't like her legs at all, and that poor thing needs a good decent farrier who doesn't get her angles all out of whack. She has well defined withers, nothing strange about them - just a lot of people aren't use to seeing such nice withers on stock breeds.

I don't like her neck, it ties in too low, it's short and thick.

And... she might have an under-bite.

Thank you - maybe I should get you more pictures? I can go see her tomorrow and get real pictures (with my Canon, nor cell phone)

Should I get head shots to check out that under bite situation?
Posted via Mobile Device

ilovemyPhillip 01-30-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks warwsbear and sierra!

I also meant to address her feet, my farrier is absolutely fantastic (I share him with where she is now) - he really did take care of her feet. I'll get pictures of those, too!
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 01-30-2012 11:44 AM

I think she would make a lovely trail horse. She needs some muscle/weight put on her but she looks pretty calm. LoL. Almost lazy. She's got a great coloring to her.

ilovemyPhillip 01-30-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1332676)
I think she would make a lovely trail horse. She needs some muscle/weight put on her but she looks pretty calm. LoL. Almost lazy. She's got a great coloring to her.

Before I post her over in the colors section, is she a chestnut overo? With sabino? I don't think I see frame..

Thank you, she can be lazy! She was a friend's horse and I want to gve her a good home. I dunno about her breeding, I need to get her papers.
Posted via Mobile Device