The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Young Stallions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/young-stallions-111178/)

MyLittlePonies 01-29-2012 06:31 PM

Young Stallions

If you are starting up your own breeding operation for the first time will you actully loose money on breeding to a two or three year old stallion that has just started his show career? I know people test breed their own mares and accept acouple outside mares at a time, but will people actually try them out or will they wait to see what the stallion owner produces with his/her's own mares? Any thoughts?

trainerunlimited 01-29-2012 06:44 PM

I'd say it would depend on where you are marketing. For example, my friend has, IMO, a very nice race bred AQHA stallion whom he doesn't advertise at all. He makes a living as a farrier and horse trainer (he is AWESOME at groundwork and has the touch while doing an unhandled horse's feet) and always has stories to tell about his horses. He has a few customers a year who breed to his stallion, but doesn't really care to stud him out unless they ask, he is more interested in his babies out of this stallion training them for barrels.

With that being said, there are probably going to be a few people who will want to breed to your stallion just for his breeding/looks/pedigree, but I would not stud him out at all if you are planning on really pushing his show carreer. That way, you can put a higher price for a stud fee on him and he will be appetizing for the mare owner looking for his particular genetics. You would probably have to have a pretty low stud fee to get mares in for him, then would have to raise it after his show carreer, just looks better starting out at a set amount when you can charge a decent fee. What are you wanting to show him in?

BTW, I am by no means a professional, this is just what I hope in doing in the future when I show and stand my very own ladies man 8P I've talked to a couple bigger breeders, they don't ever stand or breed a stallion until they have several points or thousand won and are pretty competitive horses. Then again, I spoke to another small operation person who has a reining stallion and they stood him out and used that money for trainining/showing fees so they were able to get him proven.

It is so hard making decisions, lol!!!

Goodlooking/Nice PedigreeXShown/Proven=One hot man for the ladies!!!

MyLittlePonies 01-29-2012 06:46 PM

Like should I even think about using an unproven stud for breeding when i start up my breeding program? or should I stick to the BIG leagues?

trainerunlimited 01-29-2012 06:49 PM

To me the difference between having your own stud with stellar lines, but not proven in the show ring, and breeding to the big names out there is going to be the marketability of your foals. Foals by stallions and mares with a show record are going to sell first and for a lot more than foals by a stallion(in particular) who doesn't.

MyLittlePonies 01-29-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainerunlimited (Post 1332252)
To me the difference between having your own stud with stellar lines, but not proven in the show ring, and breeding to the big names out there is going to be the marketability of your foals. Foals by stallions and mares with a show record are going to sell first and for a lot more than foals by a stallion(in particular) who doesn't.

I agree. I just had a small list of young studs who are continuing their careers. But if the young stud without a show record yet with stellar lines are offered wont some people try them out either way?

sierrams1123 01-29-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies (Post 1332247)
Like should I even think about using an unproven stud for breeding when i start up my breeding program? or should I stick to the BIG leagues?

I wouldn't unless he has all the goods, so to say, and he has amazing lines that are proven and sought after.

trainerunlimited 01-29-2012 06:59 PM

Ya, some people will always give a stud a try, as long as the price is right. There are many trail riders out there that just look at a horse's conformation and brain/trainability as their criteria for if they want to breed or not, they look at color as well. I'd just make sure, as sierra stated, he has great conformation and a pretty decent pedigree.

trainerunlimited 01-29-2012 07:02 PM

I had a really well bred grey colt who had pulled a tendon partially in his back leg. He was a grandson of Mr Sun Olena and was really cute and catty. I was going to train him and sell him as a roper, but when he pulled that tendon and I didn't know if he would stay sound for hard riding, I sold him to a trail rider as a yearling. I was telling him all about his papers(which I am really fond of and love to talk about all the proven horses on my horse's papers) he said he really didn't care as long as he was papered because he liked his looks, so just depends on how big time you want to get, and who will be your clientel.

Chiilaa 01-29-2012 09:34 PM

If I was going to start a breeding operation, I would buy the best mare money could find in my chosen breed. Then I would advance her career in my chosen discipline. Once she has proven that she has merit of her own, I would put her to the best stud I could afford. Then rinse and repeat with her offspring.

I personally don't think I would ever buy a stud. In this day and age, you can ship semen from virtually anywhere. If I did have a stud, I will have bred him myself, and he would be my "poster boy" to show what my stud was all about. I am a firm believer in a strong mare band.

However, this is just me personally. And I am no where near owning any horses at the moment, let alone my dream mare. If I had one, and was looking at a young stud, I would want him to have absolutely excelled as a youngster in in-hand classes, and to have well recognised, amazing bloodlines.

PaintsPwn 01-29-2012 10:16 PM

Chinga's right. Mares are where the money's at, and your baby is going to mostly take after momma, doesn't matter how many thousands you spend for that quadruple world champion stallions wee swimmers.