The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Big Horn Endurance Saddle-Fit Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/big-horn-endurance-saddle-fit-critique-111195/)

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-30-2012 09:37 AM

Big Horn Endurance Saddle-Fit Critique
 
Photos: Big Horn Saddle Fit pictures by equestrianemily1991 - Photobucket

I just realized (when I finally got to a computer to look at these uploads since they were all off my phone) that the saddle pad is very far forward :oops: I know that will throw off the critique, but just do the best you can. I will try to take photos again but it will be a few days.

Looking to see if this saddle is a potential fit for my mare, who is a 15 hh Bashkir Curly x Arabian who is also gaited. I don't like how it rides up so much in the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe4d 01-30-2012 11:23 AM

get some side shots of the saddle on the horse without the pad, between the curls and pad kinda hard to tell what's what.

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-30-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1332645)
get some side shots of the saddle on the horse without the pad, between the curls and pad kinda hard to tell what's what.

The first couple are without the pad. I will try to get some better ones but it won't be for a couple days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 01-31-2012 09:11 AM

That's not a saddle pad, it's a mattress. Try something a little thinner. A thick pad like that can change the fit of the saddle considerably. Too much padding doesn't make it more comfortable for the horse.

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-31-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1334303)
That's not a saddle pad, it's a mattress. Try something a little thinner. A thick pad like that can change the fit of the saddle considerably. Too much padding doesn't make it more comfortable for the horse.

Yeah, that saddle pad is extremely thick :( I will try out a thinner wool pad with it. I wouldn't ride her with this pad (t is for my sister's Paso who needs a bit more padding) Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 01-31-2012 10:32 PM

There looks to be almost no flair to the front edge of the tree . To me, it looks really tight on the shoulder. Can you run your hand under it easily, or is it tight?
I have an endurance saddle that fits Mac just like that; too tight on the shoulder.
You do need to put them a little bit farther back because they don't have as much skirt to them , so unlike a western saddle, which as a couple of inches of skirt in front of the front edge of the tree itself, endurance saddles have very little skirt. The front edge you see is pretty much the edge of the tree itself, not the skirt.

Curly_Horse_CMT 02-01-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1335613)
There looks to be almost no flair to the front edge of the tree . To me, it looks really tight on the shoulder. Can you run your hand under it easily, or is it tight?
I have an endurance saddle that fits Mac just like that; too tight on the shoulder.
You do need to put them a little bit farther back because they don't have as much skirt to them , so unlike a western saddle, which as a couple of inches of skirt in front of the front edge of the tree itself, endurance saddles have very little skirt. The front edge you see is pretty much the edge of the tree itself, not the skirt.


I CAN run my hand under the front of the tree with little hindrance, but I worry that the tipping up in the back means that it is falling down on her shoulders...I am going to try to get better pics this weekend with a thinner pad and the saddle farther back. I like the way the Marciante fits her better (see my other thread on here) but someone on here suggested that it is too wide? I was so engrossed in trying to get photos at the correct angles that the actual placement was in the back of my head haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-01-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1334303)
That's not a saddle pad, it's a mattress. Try something a little thinner. A thick pad like that can change the fit of the saddle considerably. Too much padding doesn't make it more comfortable for the horse.

:rofl:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0