The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Health tip of the day: True or False? Post yours! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/health-tip-day-true-false-post-111198/)

FlyGap 01-30-2012 10:33 AM

Health tip of the day: True or False? Post yours!

So this weekend I had the vet out for various reasons. One mare is still a tad lame after an injury, teeth check
for one gelding, the other had a goopy eye and has developed warts on his nose within the past week
(trying to get his immune system back in order)! Ugh.

So everyone is fine. The vet went over Rick and said that there was no vaccine for his particular virus causing the
warts. There is for cattle, just not horses. :evil: But there is hope! He said to watch them, when one got large enough
to pick/cut off do so, and then feed it to him! It will stimulate his immune system and hopefully cure his warts!
Anyone ever heard of this?
True or False?

My poor boy and formerly lovely nose. :-(
http://www.horseforum.com/members/26...0785-25400.jpg

Post your tip of the day, old timer cure, natural health remedy?

Tianimalz 01-30-2012 10:38 AM

No idea.... but that sounds absolutely disgusting and I just shuddered a bit :lol:

Lockwood 01-30-2012 10:43 AM

Yes, I have heard of that before, although hadn't remembered it until just now.
Bottoms up:shock:

natisha 01-30-2012 10:54 AM

My horse had warts worse than those. After waiting & waiting I crushed one with a hemostat. The horse didn't like it & it bled a bit but within a couple of weeks they were all gone. Apparently it set off some sort of immune response to attack the virus. I didn't make the horse eat it though.

xxGallopxx 01-30-2012 10:54 AM

I've heard of cutting them off when they get a certain size....But feeding it to them? That's new. Warts just look ugly, they don't have any other effect on them. Would you mind your horse being the guinea pig for me? I'd like to see if it really does help their immune system if you feed it to them. Mix it with his grain or maybe some applesauce.

Patriot 01-30-2012 10:56 AM

Never heard of it but it's interesting concept. When you consider that vaccines are basically the introduction of a live or dead virus, which the body reacts to developing a level of immunity. I would think that the digestive enzymes would destroy virus causing the warts but I sure don't know. Besides for your question I would also want to know if the ingestion of the warts could possibly cause them to spread.

Annnie31 01-30-2012 10:58 AM

Never heard of it, aleays simply left them alone and they resolved themselves. They are not a problem healthwise, maybe a bit of an eyesore but personally I have just left them alone.
We have heard of other cures like bacongrease and iodine, squeezing them, etc. but never bothered trying them. We also only had maybe two or three cases in more than 30 years of horses so it was quite rare.

FlyGap 01-30-2012 11:00 AM

I for sure will be trying it!
He's had a rough go. Purchased from bad horse traders but in good condition, farrier botched his feet right before going to the trainer, two wasted weeks of rest, then rode hard in training, lost some weight, back home kept up with training, then pasture rest this winter with only a few rides and tons of groceries! Starting to get back lost weight, but his immune system is down. :(

So more rest and groceries, and a few warts thrown in for good measure!!!

Annnie31, I've been around them forever and have never had a horse with warts! I just hope they don't get too bad.
My vet said they can manifest around their eyes and I'm terrified of having another horse with eye problems. My poor
boy! I won't actively go after the warts, but when I can easily get one off, it's going in his feed.

mls 01-30-2012 11:01 AM

I have never heard of feeding it to them. I have heard of crushing the largest as that is supposedly the source.

They can REALLY bleed though. So use caution if you mess with them!

mudpie 01-30-2012 03:40 PM

I've heard of using Castor oil.

Don't know for sure, though.