The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Western Pleasure mane (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/western-pleasure-mane-11120/)

Her_name_is_Rio 07-06-2008 09:49 PM

Western Pleasure mane

I am interested in showing my horse Western Pleasure. Do I have to cut Rio's mane? Is there a way around it? I will only be going to local shows.

Harlee rides horses 07-06-2008 10:05 PM

I would just cut it, that's how it's supposed to be...

Her_name_is_Rio 07-06-2008 10:22 PM

Thank you, but I prefer natural manes. I am hoping for a way around cutting it. I might not show if I have to cut.

buckaroo2010 07-06-2008 10:54 PM

I show WP and My horses main is below his neck I refuse to cut it and if the jugde has a problem with it I will tell him im not cutting his main for theses few classes! I you want his mane long keep it that way! :)

farmpony84 07-07-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
I show WP and My horses main is below his neck I refuse to cut it and if the jugde has a problem with it I will tell him im not cutting his main for theses few classes! I you want his mane long keep it that way! :)

First of all, you don't "cut" the mane! That's bad! You pull it and band it... BUT... if you are an "all-around" rider. You don't have to do anything with the mane. Reigners and barrel horses have long beautiful manes. I don't know why THEY get to have pretty manes but they do... So who would know that you arent an "all-around" rider??? I think people would just assume... so I'd leave it...

kershkova 07-09-2008 10:01 AM

Don`t do it I do gameind and Wp. I dont cut it.

ArticMyst 07-11-2008 12:14 AM

Leave it long!!! It takes way to long to grow back to pull it for a couple of local shows. :) One of my friends shows reining for the majority of the time, Once in a while she will show WP, she still places well. So I wouldn't worry about it to much.;)

AKPaintLover 07-11-2008 08:51 AM

I show my stallion WP, as well as many other things, and his mane is so thick, it was impossible to pull (not cut!), without it standing up a bit....I have resigned to braiding it in a tight french braid down his crest for his classes to make him look more tidy. I figure since I am not doing halter, it should not be a huge issue.

I would leave it if you want to. :)

GallopingGrape 07-11-2008 05:12 PM

Leave it long! The judge shouldn't ding you for a long mane... especially in local shows...

buckaroo2010 07-13-2008 08:34 PM

I agree :D