The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Questions about disciplines and standards for competitions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/questions-about-disciplines-standards-competitions-111212/)

MiszD 01-30-2012 11:36 AM

Questions about disciplines and standards for competitions

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so maybe i do something wrong.
But I really need your help.

I'm busy with creating an international horse game. And I came to the conclusion it's pretty difficult to create something based on reality.
But still I will make it as close as I can get.

My problem is, I can't really find standards for all over the world for the disciplines that are here. I'm already well known with the FEI standards. But that's simply said not enough ;)

The ones I will use for my game are the ones that already have some standards from the FEI:
Dressage
Jumping
Reining
Vaulting
Eventing
Combined Driving

The problem I have is, I'm from the Netherlands and never did competitive horse riding. So I don't really know these things international.

In the netherlands you have:
Dressage: B, L1, L2, M1, M2, Z1, Z2, ZZ-light, ZZ-Heavy, Prix St. George, FEI Intermediate I, FEI Intermediate II, Grand Prix

Jumping: B, L, M, Z, ZZ, Nat-B, Nat-A, CSI-1, CSI-2, CSI-3, CSI-4, CSI-5, Grand Prix

But from what I've heard, that's that it's different in a lot of countries. So I'm trying to compromise.
I hope you guys could help me with the standards for all around the world (or the most well known).

And I appreciate some website's which could help me with more information.

Thanks!
MiszD

~*~anebel~*~ 01-30-2012 01:34 PM

In North America our dressage levels are as follows -

Introductory - Basic walk and trot
Training - Basic walk, trot and canter
First - lengthened strides and leg yield shown
Second - lateral work and mediums shown
Third - flying changes, extensions and half pass shown
Fourth - working canter pirouettes and flying changes in sequence shown
FEI PSG, etc...

There is no "qualifications" to get into a level, except for the age restrictions in FEI. If you wanted to take a 5 year old horse and register him in fourth level, you could do so. This is the main difference I find between Europe and NA.

In jumping, the same thing there are no qualifications, and the classes are done by heights of fences. There are different types of classes like "Power and Speed" or "Derby" type classes, but they are all done by heights, until FEI that is, then it's the same internationally.

The United States Equestrian Federation
If you go to "Disciplines" and "International" it gives you a choice to click on Jumping, Dressage, etc...

QHriderKE 01-30-2012 02:55 PM

The thing that has happened with almost every horse game is that Western has almost been completely left out. I like how you have Reining in there, which is great! But there is more than reining out there! Cutting would be a good one to have, as well as barrel racing or something.

Also, I don't know what your game is going to be based on, but there are some that conformation is also included as the "horse" actually carries on color and conformational genetics. So, Halter and Showmanship classes would be good to add as well!

MiszD 01-30-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1332951)
The thing that has happened with almost every horse game is that Western has almost been completely left out. I like how you have Reining in there, which is great! But there is more than reining out there! Cutting would be a good one to have, as well as barrel racing or something.

Also, I don't know what your game is going to be based on, but there are some that conformation is also included as the "horse" actually carries on color and conformational genetics. So, Halter and Showmanship classes would be good to add as well!

Well, the things I mentioned where only the basics i'm started with ;)
I'm not going to explain the whole game here, because I don't want the trouble that someone else uses my idea's for it's own game :)

You are absolutely right that there is more then the things I've mentioned :D
But do not worry, because there will be coming A LOT MORE!

Like I said is that it will be as much as based on reality as I can. I'm already researching since april 2011. So it's almost a year already, and a lot has been found out. The genetics are almost done (for the colours and stuff).

But I needed to have more information about the disciplines and stuff.
So if you say that you know where I can find al the information and basics about these disciplines you mention. That could be very helpfull too.

It's just that I need somewhere to begin. And that's easier with the most common equestrian sports then the ones which aren't really famous.
But they won't be left out, only placed later in the game when I have a bta version. Unless I can find the information I need before that^^

(Also Dressage and Jumping are the most common sports here in the netherlands, so for me it's pretty hard to find the things about western and reining and stuff. Since we don't really have it here (and dutch reading is still easier to me then english:P I don't always understand the terms if I never heard of it before (A) )

Thank you both for your information :)

~*~anebel~*~ 01-30-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1332951)

OP clearly stated that the only disciplines she had info on are those included with the FEI. Considering rodeo, etc.. are not FEI sanctioned and OP is from Europe how would she have heard about western events other than reining (which is FEI sanctioned). There are also not halter OR showmanship classes there.

It would be useful to post links to associations with rules or information about disciplines which do not exist in OP's home country....