The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   5yo Paso Fino critique please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/5yo-paso-fino-critique-please-111226/)

jbolt 01-30-2012 01:10 PM

5yo Paso Fino critique please

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, i've never owned a gaited horse before and was wondering what yall think of this 5yo mare. She is apparently "show bred" though I know nill about pasos, she gaits incredibly, is pony sized, about 13hh, and is incredibly well trained. picked her up, with papers for 300 on a forced herd reduction. pics arent the best but it was feeding time......

TheMadHatter 01-30-2012 01:46 PM

She's cute but long in the back. What will you be doing with her?

jbolt 01-30-2012 03:16 PM

i plan on using her for trail, and teaching my 11 yr. old stepdaughter basic horsemanship. this horse is rather hot under saddle, however very controllable, easy to gait, just immediately responsive to the slightest cue.........dont know much about paso fino showing......how do you get a paso fino ready for an open wp class...........a question for another thread though.....

lilruffian 01-30-2012 05:34 PM

Agree with TheMadHatter that he's long in the back. Also sickle-hocked and high in the withers.
Nice thick neck, though his bum could do with some muscling to match his front end ;)

pasogrl72 02-02-2012 05:01 PM

Nice Horse! I agree with the last post, she could use some muscling up in the rear. Don't let her small size scare you, pasos are very strong and sure footed little horses. Most due well being barefoot as well. I board my Paso at a Paso Farm and all of the horses are barefoot. What you are calling "hot" is her Brio. Pasos turn into different horses when you get on them. They know they have a job to do and are very intune to their riders. If a Paso is trained properly they will react to very little cueing and it is in their blood to move forward. Don't let this scare you, it's part of their breed. These horses are very smart, learn fast and bond with their owners right away. I hope you enjoy your little mare and good luck to the two of you!

annaleah 02-02-2012 05:05 PM

she seems very nice..although I'm not sure western pleasure would be a good choice...because of thier brio...and very forward moving, you may consider a different event..idk tho...maybe pasos can do wp...who knows..but if I had one, I'd be looking into competitive trail and endurance...but that's just my opinion...good luck with her and congrats!

jbolt 02-02-2012 09:20 PM

gonna move my wp question to the gaited forum.........

please see gaited forum gonna post it there......