The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique of My Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-critique-my-mare-111261/)

dieselcowgirl 01-30-2012 08:08 PM

Conformation Critique of My Mare

7 Attachment(s)
CD Lil Qupid (aka Bailey) is a 2007 model B.S. APHA mare. She is 16hh. I mostly trail ride and gather cattle on her. I am not looking at showing, just wondering how she is with her conformation. We were battling her weight, but now after having her teeth floated and a change of diet we are getting the weight back on. Still have more to gain. I would also like to know if it would be worth me possibly breeding her in the future. I would like to know if there are any pros and cons. I have also included her baby picture because that was the whole reason why I purchased her.

equiniphile 01-30-2012 08:13 PM

She looks like a very nice working horse. Thick, solid legs, great neck, decent neck and heart girth, and an acceptable hind end. I don't like her gaskin (I think that's what it is, but it might be someting else around there that's bothering me); it looks like it's set too far back, perhaps? She also appears to be toed-out in the back.

Overall, she is a nicely put-together, sturdy mare.

dieselcowgirl 01-30-2012 08:19 PM

Her hind feet bother me too. Working with her shoer to try to correct it. Thank you.

dieselcowgirl 01-30-2012 08:22 PM

The gaskin is the muscular area between the stifle and the hock. Is that where you are talking about?

equiniphile 01-30-2012 08:24 PM

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It looks "off" to me, but I'm not sure if it's the gaskin that's the problem. It could very well be something else that I'm missing.

aggiegirl14 01-30-2012 08:54 PM

I really like her. She has a fairly short back in relation to a longer underline. She is pretty narrow when viewed from the front, but she has a nice V in her pectoral region. She is straight through the hocks in the picture from behind, but like the others have said she toes out some. I love her neck and head and she is well balanced :) she could probably use some more muscling in her hind end though

missnashvilletime 01-30-2012 09:56 PM

You want their back feet toed out a bit, they're not supposed to point straight forward, if they do they're probably bowlegged, I see nothing wrong with her back legs. Her gaskins are just weak. She could use a little muscle overall, but other than that I think you have a pretty good looking horse. :) good luck with her!

missnashvilletime 01-30-2012 09:58 PM

http://www.triplecrown.com.au/getfil...rear-toba.aspx
Here's a good drawing of ideal hind legs :)

waresbear 01-30-2012 10:01 PM

I like this mare, reminds of my horse, 16HH & BS APHA. Nice back, superb heartgirth, nice head. Her neck is a bit chunky, thick throatlatch, posty back legs, straight shoulder, not horrible by any means, no horse is perfect. To me, she looks the proper weight, any more & I would consider her overweight.

dieselcowgirl 01-30-2012 10:49 PM

Thank you everyone. You have helped me a great deal. I have done some reading on her feet and the articles I have read said you do want them toed out a lil to clear their rib cage. With hooves completely straight forward your horse is more likely to hit their rib cage when loping/running versus toed out. Thank you missnashvilletime for the link.