The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Landing a jump with bucking *sigh* (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/landing-jump-bucking-%2Asigh%2A-111266/)

Gallop On 01-30-2012 08:33 PM

Landing a jump with bucking *sigh*

So, a while back my dear sweet boy (:roll:) started landing our grids bucking...

He usually only does it the first few times then he'll stop and be all fine, but seriously, is their any way to get him to not land a grid bucking? Its nearly impossible to keep my seat when I land a jump and while Im landing he is bucking, and falling off every time I ride is not the best thing either. BUT, as I said, its only the first few jumps, mostly just the first one though. If he suceeds to unseat me in the first one (he usually does, but it seriously depends) then afterwards the next few times he lands bucking its half hearted, and he cant get me off. Then, after that everything is perfect again. I dont get why he started this, and why he only does it the first 2-3 times. I, personally think he is just being fresh, but maybe not. SO, any ideas? His ground manners are great, and he is also great under saddle, doesnt ever buck, unless we are landing a jump... He only lands bucking sometimes, and sometimes when he does land bucking, the first time its so pathetic, not even hardly an effort. but, then their is other times when he lands perfect. I say about 1/3 of the times he unseats me, the other 2/3 he lands perfect.

Northernstar 01-30-2012 09:00 PM

If he were my mare, I'd say "typical alpha mare behavior", but truly I wonder if he has any pain issues - (even mild) that he's fighting against? I'm definately not an expert, but just a guess.... Hope things get resolved soon :)

Gallop On 01-30-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 1333553)
If he were my mare, I'd say "typical alpha mare behavior", but truly I wonder if he has any pain issues - (even mild) that he's fighting against? I'm definately not an expert, but just a guess.... Hope things get resolved soon :)

The only thing that makes me think its not pain is he only does it 2-3 times when I first begin, and sometimes he doesnt do it at all :\ he is confusing... *Le sigh*

QHriderKE 01-30-2012 09:39 PM

There could be something bothering him in his back. I'd get him a chiro appointment for starters, and then if that isn't the problem, it's a bad habit. Don't let him get away with it. I'm not a jumper, but if my horse was doing that, I'd spend 3/4 of the ride warming up and then see if he bucks if I'd jump him then, if he did, I'd treat it as any other bucker. Discipline.

waresbear 01-30-2012 09:41 PM

There was a famous jumping horse when I was kid that did this. Was on the Canadian Olympic team back in the 1970's. He bucked after every big jump and people cheered & clapped.

Gallop On 01-30-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1333636)
There could be something bothering him in his back. I'd get him a chiro appointment for starters, and then if that isn't the problem, it's a bad habit. Don't let him get away with it. I'm not a jumper, but if my horse was doing that, I'd spend 3/4 of the ride warming up and then see if he bucks if I'd jump him then, if he did, I'd treat it as any other bucker. Discipline.

Discipline in what way? I usually make him circle, and back up, and circle, and back up, and he gets tired of it, and genarally stops being such a butt.

Gallop On 01-30-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1333640)
There was a famous jumping horse when I was kid that did this. Was on the Canadian Olympic team back in the 1970's. He bucked after every big jump and people cheered & clapped.

Cheered and clapped? Good lord! Haha, no one cheers and claps when I come flying off :wink:

VanillaBean 01-30-2012 10:01 PM

Try landing in a.defensive position. Give just enough release and when he starts to buck, lift one hand and pull upwards sharply. This works on my buckers. Hold the hand upbuntil he stops. The hand should be up almost by your ear.

Hope this helps.

Gallop On 01-31-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaBean (Post 1333690)
Try landing in a.defensive position. Give just enough release and when he starts to buck, lift one hand and pull upwards sharply. This works on my buckers. Hold the hand upbuntil he stops. The hand should be up almost by your ear.

Hope this helps.

Ee, this is what I do most all of the time. But, if I land a tad bit to far forward, then I automatically am in a bad position for the bucking, but if I do land normally, then I get a heads up on his bucking. But yeah, those first few landing when he bucks, I pretty much jump defensively also, awaiting those bucks to come!

MIEventer 01-31-2012 10:27 AM

I would ensure that there is no pain factor here, horses don't buck to just buck, there is usually something behind it.

Saddle fit, joint issues, back issues, rider - etc, etc. Do you have video footage of you two jumping together, to see it may help.