The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Leather skid boots. Velcro or buckles? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/leather-skid-boots-velcro-buckles-111271/)

franknbeans 01-30-2012 10:19 PM

Leather skid boots. Velcro or buckles?

Ask 2 trainers-get 2 opinions. So-I am asking the rest of you all. I prefer the leather with the velcro closures, but one of the trainers says that the velcro gets all messed up and stops working, that the buckles are better. Opinions?

waresbear 01-30-2012 10:21 PM

Velco is known for losing it's stick, I have leather skid boots with buckles, had them for years, rarely used....you want them?

franknbeans 01-30-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1333594)
Velco is known for losing it's stick, I have leather skid boots with buckles, had them for years, rarely used....you want them?

Sure-let me know how much you want with shipping-zip is 14544 THanks!

COWCHICK77 01-30-2012 10:30 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I like the leather with buckles too...the cups wear out before the buckles do.

franknbeans 01-30-2012 10:32 PM

GUess looks isn't everything, huh? I just like the velcro better.....oh well. If I really had my way it would be white SMX skids......but......have to go with what the traiers say....lol

COWCHICK77 01-30-2012 10:39 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Also with the leather ones with the buckles the dirt falls out of them, they kinda self-clean. The neoprene ones its hard to get a good fit and the dirt falls down into them and if you rough up the fetlocks bad they get reluctant to stop.

To be honest, I have never tried the leather ones with the velcro straps.

nrhareiner 01-31-2012 01:08 AM

I have both and like them both. However for ease of use the velcro I like better. However they are hader to keep clean and do not last as long. Nice thing is I have a guy who can replace the velcro when it goes bad so not a big deal.

franknbeans 01-31-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 1334004)
I have both and like them both. However for ease of use the velcro I like better. However they are hader to keep clean and do not last as long. Nice thing is I have a guy who can replace the velcro when it goes bad so not a big deal.

THanks-good to know. I sew and could probably do it myself with my HD machine. I am the type who finds the ease of the velcro really attractive for sure.