The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Miracle Horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/miracle-horse-111281/)

aly429 01-30-2012 10:04 PM

Miracle Horse!

I have to share this store, just because I think it speaks to the spirit of these amazing animals.

My horse Hermes went in for bladder stone surgery last Monday. Everything went well and according to the surgeon, surgery was a breeze. However last Tuesday morning Hermes coliced and was put in the colic wing of the hospital. He was refluxing very badly, he was put on an IV and had to have his stomach drained several times a day to keep his stomach from rupturing and was unable to eat or drink. Throughout the week he showed little signs of improving. Last Saturday I was told the last thing they could do for poor Hermes was discovery surgery in hopes of finding an intestine that had been impacted or kinked. I was warned that if nothing was found in surgery there would be little hope for him and that most likely it was a function issue, and he would not survive.

Hermes went into surgery at 4:35pm on Saturday. At 7:30pm I was told they found nothing and was asked if I wanted to give him another 24 hours to see if there was any improvement. As I could not stand the thought of losing my boy, I opted to give him another 24 hours. They closed him up and I got to see him at 8:30pm, still groggy and sweaty from surgery. After spending some time I left for the night, not sure if I would have any more time with my special boy.

Sunday morning at 8:30am, almost 12 hours after seeing him return from surgery, I got a call from the vet, saying that in the past 12 hours he had not refluxed once and that the water they had put in his stomach to remove the liquid was draining faster than they could siphon it out! While we are still not out of the woods, Hermes is recouping quite nicely and is slowly being allowed to eat and drink. He no longer has his stomach tube or his IV, and is slowly being weaned back on to hay and feed.

I have to say that right now I feel like the luckiest owner in the world, and that sometimes all these wonderful creatures need is someone to believe in them no matter the cost or how bad the odds might be. Bless these animals that make everyday a new adventure!

waresbear 01-30-2012 10:08 PM

Get well soon Hermes! I love your horse's name. Welcome to the forum & keep us posted on his recovery.

Country Woman 01-30-2012 10:13 PM

Get Well Hermes
you have a loving owner

Cheydako 01-31-2012 12:44 AM

Awww, that's great. My mare died of colic and I miss her a lot. It makes me feel better to know that some of these stories have happy endings.

I hope he has a very, very quick recovery!

cakemom 01-31-2012 10:38 PM

That's awesome!!
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 01-31-2012 11:39 PM

Glad to here your boy is on his road to recovery!!:D He's a fighter!

loveduffy 01-31-2012 11:43 PM

God bless you and Hermes Amen

feistymomma 02-01-2012 08:35 PM

Good luck! I hope he continues to get better!!!!

Horselover1215 02-01-2012 08:57 PM

What an amazing guy. Its amazing what they're capable of,its like they truely fight for you. I'm praying for him. Best of luck and keep us posted!

aly429 02-01-2012 09:01 PM

So an update on Mr. Hermes, he is now back on his senior rations, and has been re-introduced to grass hay today. They are saying he should be ready to come home tomorrow or Friday!
He truly is an amazing guy and I can't believe he is going to make a full recovery! I feel like the luckiest owner right now!
Posted via Mobile Device