The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Affording Major stud fees (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/affording-major-stud-fees-111297/)

MyLittlePonies 01-31-2012 01:08 AM

Affording Major stud fees

Here's a thought I've been curious about. How can people afford to breed to a stallion with a $8500 stud fee and yes I can name one at the top of my head. Is it the experience in the horse business that is working for them and being able sell and what not to be able to breed at that price?

I'd have to take out a loan for that stud fee alone!! Of course, I'm currently 19, so maybe many years down the road when I finish my degree in business I'll have a chance after saving money from a job if I can find one.... How would you decide when breeding your mares what the right price is for a perticular stud is? I'm seeing world champs under 1000 with full bookings, a few other world contenders(at least) around 1500-3000. With the economy still down, I think I should most likely stick to the SSA breedings for a few good years :)

waresbear 01-31-2012 01:09 AM

They can afford that because they made their money elsewhere not in the horse business.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 01-31-2012 01:20 AM

Some folks actually will put a stud fee on a credit card or take a signature loan. Bad business if you ask me, if I don't have the cash, I don't need the breeding. Also, always ask for some kind of discount, it's very rare to pay full price for a breeding to any stallion these days. If they won't come down at least half, if you have a really high quality well bred mare, go look at 1/2 price furturity auctions and buy from another stallion.

PaintsPwn 01-31-2012 01:23 AM

Do you know what kind of horse you can buy for $8,500 right now? And it's already broke... you can buy the color you want and the sex you want... and it'll have a show record...

Ah, where there is more money than sense!

MyLittlePonies 01-31-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 1334109)
Do you know what kind of horse you can buy for $8,500 right now? And it's already broke... you can buy the color you want and the sex you want... and it'll have a show record...

In general, I could think about a lot of things to do with that kind of money. I'm feeling for the SSA breeds. 1/2 price. You almost couldn't beat it if that's the stud you want, but otherwise anyone could do better.

Faceman 01-31-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, but you don't pay an $8500 stud fee to breed an $8500 horse. You pay an $8500 fee to breed a $40,000 horse...the same percentages that would cost you a $530 stud fee to breed a $2,500 horse.

The entire question is a bit academic. Why do people pay $80,000 for a Mercedes when they can buy a chevy for $25,000? Well, one is a Chevy and the other is a Mercedes. Why do people pay $2000 for a purebred dog when they can pick up a perfectly good, lovable dog at a shelter for $40 or $50? Or designer jeans vs. Walmart specials...and so it goes...

PaintsPwn 01-31-2012 10:08 AM

That kind of logic makes me happy I never became involved in sport horses.

Faceman 01-31-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintsPwn (Post 1334377)
That kind of logic makes me happy I never became involved in sport horses.

Pricey hobby...:rofl:

SorrelHorse 01-31-2012 11:42 AM

Well I stalk the stallion auction websites....:rofl:

nrhareiner 01-31-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

IN a reiner? Not much.