The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Buying a saddle without a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/buying-saddle-without-horse-111298/)

bayall 01-31-2012 02:26 AM

Buying a saddle without a horse

I want to get a saddle but I dont have a horse so I want something that can fit lots of horses. I have been thinking about the Wintec 250 or 500 what do you think?

Joe4d 01-31-2012 03:50 AM

I think you should wait till you have a horse

Saranda 01-31-2012 05:15 AM

Each horse is completely individual, so just buying a saddle that "fits a lot of horses" is a waste of money. Such mythological saddle does not exist. Better wait till you have your own horse to find a saddle for.

lubylol 01-31-2012 06:18 AM

If you're really set on getting a saddle, you can look into a treeless saddle.

Maybe you take lessons and want your own saddle to ride in....talk to the trainer and ask about the common wither size of all the horses you ride, and buy one. Best bet would be treeless.
Posted via Mobile Device

maura 01-31-2012 06:56 AM

This is not crazy at all, lots of people own saddles or want their own saddle that don't own horses.

There are two ways to go - one, buy a saddle with an adjustable gullet. This doesn't solve all saddle fit problems, but tree and gullet width are a big components of saddle fit.

I'm not familiar with the Wintecs you mentioned, so don't know if either of them have the adjustable gullet. I would also recommend reading some reviews of them.

The other way to approach the problem is to buy a wide tree saddle or a tree that's likely to fit the majority of horses you ride (meaning medium tree with high wither clearance if you're riding a lot of TBs, wide for most QHs or draft crosses) and then pad it to fit the variety of horses you might be riding. Not perfect, but doable.

I would also say that the liklihood of the saddle you buy now fitting a horse you might buy later is not terribly high, but if what you're after is something comfortable that fits you for right now, go ahead and do it.

gigem88 01-31-2012 07:07 AM

I have a Wintec VSD saddle and love it!

tcb5040 01-31-2012 07:24 AM

I have a flex tree saddle that fits most every horse I ride. Only problem I have is with high withered horses the pommel will rest on their withers. In that case I use a navajo blanket under my pad and it solves the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 01-31-2012 08:40 AM

The Bates with the adjustable gullet is a good option, altho they are NOT as easy to change as you might think, and certainly not something you want to do often.

With Grace 01-31-2012 05:56 PM

I don't think its strange at all to have your own saddle, even if you do not own a horse. You just need to be prepared to let it go if and when you do own a horse. I own my own saddle that I had fit for the TB I lease. I puts me in way better position than the saddle my trainer has for her. Its more comfortable for me and having my own is a must for showing. I love the saddle, but I do know that chances are I'll have to sell it next year when I purchase my own horse. I don't know about the Wintecs...but wanted to give my experience with owning a saddle without owning the horse.

mudpie 01-31-2012 06:12 PM

Bates saddles have adjustable gullets and are pretty nice(: