The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   What excersizes work for you? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/what-excersizes-work-you-111332/)

MisssMarie 01-31-2012 12:16 PM

What excersizes work for you?

I'm turning 18, and after years, I'm finally getting a horse of my own. My aunt is purchasing me a yearling filly for my birthday. I weigh 285 pounds most the time. Doctor says I should be at at least 180. I need to start losing weight, because I want to be the first one to ride this fully in 3 years, and I don't want to have to sell her because of my weight. So, what excersizes work for you to help you lose weight? What tips do you have? What healthy foods do you like?
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 01-31-2012 01:46 PM

I have a stationary bike and I try to ride at least 20 minutes a day and i
try to eat properly

I like most fruits and vegetables I eat chicken breast.
but my down fall is chocolate
I eat salad

gingerscout 01-31-2012 02:01 PM

I actually dont like many fruits and veggies never did.. i just watch my sugar intake, and drink as little pop as I can.. I walk alot and just try to stay active.. and mucking stalls/ feeding horses, and general work of that nature helps you lose alot of weight

Country Woman 01-31-2012 06:08 PM

I also drink lots of milk

ahalleyscomet 01-31-2012 11:11 PM

I am in the exact same spot you are in except I weigh 288 now it was 299 just a week earlier and I am 24. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. The last week I started Zumba and it is three times a week and I have been eating healthier more salads, proteins and lots and lots of water. In one week I have lost 11lbs. So far it is going well and I am happy...I don't know if it is the endorphins or what, but I just feel good and positive. I hope that I keep losing weight like this because I would like to be down around 180 as well maybe a little less I haven't decided yet. I really really love Zumba so if you can find it in your area I think you should at least try it once.

Country Woman 01-31-2012 11:20 PM

Congratulations Halley with your weight loss
keep up the good work

Fellpony 02-01-2012 12:38 AM

I go to the gym and swimming, walk the dog and my weight is slowly comming down.

Cardio vascular excercise is what you need anything that raises your heart rate for 30 mins at a time will help you lose weight.

Fast walking,cycling,running,rowing, aerobics classes

waresbear 02-01-2012 12:42 AM

kickboxing
plyometrics
weightlifting
aerobics
^^^^^the above is the workout

skiing, swimming, riding, hiking, wakeboard, these I consider healthy activies, not really a workout.

MisssMarie 02-01-2012 01:04 AM

I used to take my dog on a bike ride, but then my mother forced me to find him a new home a few years ago. After that, my weight really got worse, because I didn't do anything. Then my mom started saying I was too fat to ride, and I lost any motivation I had. I loved riding and I watched from afar, having given up. But now I'm almost 18, and I can get a horse of my own - I can afford the filly with my job. So, she's my new motivation. I'm new to this forum, so, I hope you guys can be my rock. Currently here's my plan until the filly gets here in April or May. 30-45 minutes of Just Dance a day, 30 mins on wii fit, and like 20 minutes stretching 2x a day for stretches, and once we move, add an additional 45 on the treadmill. I'm currently mostly sedentary, so, this will be hard, but If I wake up early, I can do wii fit in the am. Stretching when I get home and right before bed. I know I'll be pushin myself, but I think I can handle it for this filly.
I'm glad I found this forum, because I need support here haha. My family isn't that supportive, my mom had a weight problem but elected to have weight loss surgery, so she doesn't think it's that hard to lose weight, and offered to pay for surgery for me, but i'd rather work hard for it.
I like to eat horrible foods, but one thing I cant give up, is my soda. So yep.
Sorry for all the random jumping around topic wise, I tend to do that!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kimmylikestojump 02-01-2012 01:55 AM

I do circuit training at home. Back/arms/legs/core. 20 reps each/5 times

As far as giving up pop, you have to do it. If it is the carbonation that you miss, buy soda water. If its the sugar, try iced tea with splenda. Drinking water is a hard habit to start. Get a bottle and keep it in the fridge.

Soda will not quench your thirst. Water will.