The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Working Trot - Sitting or posting? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/working-trot-sitting-posting-111419/)

SorrelHorse 02-01-2012 01:04 AM

Working Trot - Sitting or posting?

Just curious. I have "observed" that most people post, and when I was doing dressage several years ago my trainer had me posting. Which way is "preferred" per se in a training level test?

tinyliny 02-01-2012 01:35 AM

I see more persons post the trot at training level , but I think it's optional to sit.
I have showed very little , and when I did training, I always posted. But, that's just due to my lack of skill sitting the trot.

SorrelHorse 02-01-2012 01:42 AM

It says "working trot may be ridden sitting or posting, unless specified", if that helps. The only time it says I have to post is at A, circling left 20m and "Encouraging the horse to stretch forward and downward"

Delfina 02-01-2012 01:52 AM

Sitting trot is allowed except for portions of the test that specify otherwise. That being said, most people post for training level tests (either the horse, the rider or both are not ready for the sitting trot).

kitten_Val 02-01-2012 06:46 AM

Most people I've seen post at the training level. I did the mix (sitting beginning and the end of the test), but just for my own pleasure. :) As Delfina said both (horse too!) should be ready for the sitting trot.

Valentina 02-01-2012 09:26 AM

Since at training level you can sit or post the rider should select which way the horse best responds. If the rider can sit effectively and not block the nice forward motion of the horse, then tyhe rider should sit. If the horse is green then normally the rider will post since the horses back is generally weaker until they build up a topline.

For a well schooled rider and not quite so green horse I suggest sitting most trots and post the lengthening (First level), but for Training level I would post the trot MOST of the time.

SorrelHorse 02-01-2012 02:12 PM

I just worry about getting the diagonal going from sitting to posting. I always have to look, so I'd like to get it the second I enter the arena and am trotting around the rail until the judge rings the bell so I can just have it. Even though I have to stop and salute its easier for me to get it once I already had it once before. And I guess if I posted the whole thing I wouldn't have to worry about remembering to start posting at A? :D

Ink 02-01-2012 02:19 PM

The tests my trainer had me practicing call for a "working trot rising". She made it sound like if it didn't specifically say "rising" you were expected to sit, but maybe I misunderstood.

Totally off topic, but I love your signature SorrelHorse!

SorrelHorse 02-01-2012 02:24 PM

Rising! That's the word, lol I couldn't remember if it said posting or rising in the actual test, but its the same thing anyhow.

and haha, thanks! I used to tell my trainer that because I had a gelding who absolutely hated his right lead and would always choose the counter canter over taking it up.

mildot 02-03-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink (Post 1336677)
She made it sound like if it didn't specifically say "rising" you were expected to sit

Depends on the test level.

You can rise or sit the trot at Intro, Training, and First Levels unless a particular movement requires one or the other. However, sitting the trot is compulsory at Second level and above.