The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Guilty for not riding :( (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/guilty-not-riding-111455/)

capercowgirl 02-01-2012 12:46 PM

Guilty for not riding :(

Well I haven't been riding as much as I wanted to the last few weeks because we have had nothing but snow and rain so EVERYTHING is ice. I feel horrible because I don't have an arena at the barn we just ride in the yard where it is flat.

I have been taking her out onto the road to go on trails but we are very limited for places to go and I don't like riding her on the hard ground.

I feel like I'm going to ruin my horse because she isn't getting the riding/training that she should be.

I try to go out a couple of times through the week to work on some ground work and manners. But it doesn't seem like I am getting much progress riding. Last time I rode I was thrown off and I am kind of worried about riding out in the fields because it might happen again :-(

Anyone else restricted to riding in the winter? Its a horrible thing!

tinyliny 02-01-2012 03:20 PM

It can't be helped. just sit back for a bit. If your horse has turnout, they will be fine unworked for a few weeks.

Klassic Superstar 02-01-2012 03:25 PM

I am right there with you!! Friday will be my day back in the sadde!

I have been battling with keeping my gelding healthy so he has been out of work while on antibiotics to kick the cold that turned into pneumonia, then we started him bacja nd he got another cold! So he was put on natural herbs and that did the trick only for me to then get a bad case of bronchitis and when that cleared up it snowed so much I couldnt go to the barn and then the day it melted...I flew out to Hawaii for a week and just got back last night! Hang in there, hopefully soon you can ride, even if its just walking around bare back or somthing!

capercowgirl 02-01-2012 05:27 PM

She is outside everyday so shes getting lots of fresh air, and playing with the other horses. I just feel like I could be doing so much training for showing season this summer. I guess there isn't much I can do eh! lol

gunslinger 02-01-2012 07:16 PM

My wife and I have only rode once this month. Rain every weekend.

Springs coming!

FirstLightFarm 02-01-2012 07:49 PM

I'm right there with you, too. Only I haven't ridden since Thanksgiving! I had a fall and hurt my back, and then it was Christmas, and then when I got better I had this barn to build . . . .and it's been winter. Although South Carolina winter isn't anything like Nova Scotia winter, so I'm not even going to try and use that as an excuse.

Anyway, I was feeling kind of guilty, too.

Then I realized there are lots of people in the world who turn their horses away for the entire winter! So I've decided to stop feeling guilty and start making a plan for getting my rusty self and my (by now wildly fresh) horse ready for riding again.

As gunslinger says, spring's coming.:-)

Walkamile 02-01-2012 07:52 PM

I'm there too! Surrounded by ice now, so no riding or even working them in hand. I've actually gone a year once not riding Walka. He self exercised, and when I finally stepped back in the saddle, you'd never have known he hadn't been ridden in a year. Relax, the down time won't "ruin" your horse. Just set you back a smidge maybe.

capercowgirl 02-01-2012 08:13 PM

I guess I am just nervous because I once leased a horse that was 16 but you would swear he was 4 if you left him a week without riding.

I don't think I would have any problems with Ceilidh because she hasn't had any serious problems when taking some time off (knock on wood):lol:

CANT WAIT UNTIL SPRING!! lets all count down the days hehe

Hawksnest Farm 02-01-2012 08:49 PM

Back in the late 70's I worked at a stable as a trail guide, we had 30 horses that we rented out by the hour and it was my job to take out 10-15 people every hour for a trail ride through the woods. It was a great job and I learned a lot. This was on Cape Cod, so we were very busy for about 4 months. Then winter would come and we would take these 30 horses and turn them out together in a HUGE paddock. Me and like one or two other kids would take care of them over the winter. We would only ride "our" horses during this time. The rest of the 26 horses never got ridden until summer. Come summer we would brush them off, tack them up and put the greenest of green riders on them with no problem.

Ride them when you can and come spring they will be fine. Don't stress about them...

xxGallopxx 02-01-2012 08:57 PM

Don't feel bad. I would've ridden today, (it was so nice outside!) but I was sick yesterday (stomach bug.. bleh) so I'm not going to push it... We're getting rain for the rest of the week too. So no riding for a while for me either! I've only been able to ride about once a week on average for a while.. My horse is fine though. Just a little snooty about taking off at the lope. He gets like that when I don't lope him often lol. (And he's the horse that loves to lope! Psh. Horses )