The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   info needed on the Belgian Breed (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/info-needed-belgian-breed-111464/)

marlin8 02-01-2012 02:47 PM

info needed on the Belgian Breed

Hello ;
I have wanted to start breeding draft horses for riding and having 3 Belgians already I want to stay with that breed .

What I wanted to know , is there anyone out there that knows , or knows someone who might be able to help me is this . What blood line (sire ) should I look for to produce the following traits
#1 farm type build ,
#2 between 16 and 17.2 hands ,
#3 squared off nose ,( some have "roman nose " ) . My 20 yr. old gelding is like this but I don't know his history as far as his parents or where he came from . I purchased him as a 10 yr. old .

I know the difference between the farm type and the hitch type , I prefer the farm type . Any info would be appreciated ,thanks .

Marlin8

Country Woman 02-04-2012 01:36 AM

good luck to you
do you know anything about breeding?
do you have the space and money?
Hope your dreams come true

Country Woman 02-04-2012 01:36 AM

Welcome Marlin

FeatheredFeet 02-04-2012 04:31 PM

Welcome Marlin8.

First of all, you do not tell us where you are in the world, but I have some thoughts on your post here.

I could be wrong, but I'm tending to think, you have not done the required homework in your breed of choice, to be considering breeding. If you had, you would already be a member of the many Belgian associations and clubs and have built up knowledgeable friends in the breed. You would have a fair knowledge of the pedigrees in the breed, of the horse type you prefer and know who might own them.

Why do you prefer the 'farm' type? A quality Belgian is a quality Belgian, just as in any other breed.

In the US anyway, there are more Belgians than any other draft breed and this is why we find them constantly dumped in auctions. A friend of mine has rescued them for years. Hundreds unfortunately, end up as meat each year. They are also the first choice of the Amish for farm work.

You say you seek a sire with a 'squared off nose'. I presume you mean muzzle. While you might find such a sire, he will not necessarily produce it. This especially if bred to mares who do not display it.

Have you evaluated your mares, as to their possible breeding quality? If you purchased them from reputable breeders, one or other of them should be mentoring you, since you wish to become a breeder. You would probably not have to ask on an all-breed forum, such as this.

With the large number of Belgians around and so many going to auction, what will you offer the breed to make sure the foals you produce, do not end up in the same circumstances?

Will you be keeping them until old enough to be trained under saddle? Will you do the training, or have you a trainer in mind? Have you the experience in foaling and training, to become a knowledgeable breeder? Do you know the bloodlines of the breed, inside and out? Do you have a good knowledge of the problems, genetic and otherwise, found in drafts and particularly, Belgians? Have you the funds to be able to keep and train all the foals you might produce, until ready for sale? Have you already, well trained, top quality horses, to show prospective buyers? Have you shown the horses you presently own? If your foals do not sell easily, have you the funds to keep them, maybe for several years after they are trained, until the perfect home comes along?

Lots more to this breeding business than to advertise for a stud with a certain type muzzle and height.

Lizzie

smrobs 02-04-2012 05:20 PM

^^^ "Like" 1000 times.

loveduffy 02-14-2012 12:51 AM

welcome and good luck I love belgians

TimberRidgeRanch 03-08-2012 05:52 PM

I agree with Featherfeet There is alot to do with breeding then just a mare and stud. With todays market I wouldnt breed at all. Too many horses now then there are homes. The market is really low on drafts unless you have top quality horses and the knowledge and ties to the breed industry. Cost more to breed raise train then it is to sell.
I love the draft breed and draft crosses. But right now with economy breeding is out. I keep my eyes open for unwanted or low priced horses work on them and place. So many unwanted its more a demand then breeding.
But good luck be safe Love your horses TRR

Alaskadraft 03-25-2012 11:36 PM

Feathered feet brought up many concerns, mine however goes beyond that. You never mentioned testing them for J.E.B. carriers...Thats more important than a squared off Muzzle. If youi want something that small, yoiu are better off with a Brabant than and American Belgian. Modern American Belgians were bred to be big and more hitch types over the last 50 years because thats what sells..

Belgian Draft Horse Corp. of America - JEB

AD

Laures 03-29-2012 05:58 AM

There also is a difference between the Belgian draft from Belgium and the 'American' Belgian draft.

Alaskadraft 03-30-2012 02:22 AM

yes there is , but they are still carriers of JEB ....its from the Brabants that the American Belgians heritage comes from.. mixed with a bit of chestnut Percherons for leg and height.....Its the percheron blood that gave the Americans the color .....Brabants are roans...and much chunkier... Love Ardenants too!