The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant?!? Need a vet to check? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/pregnant-need-vet-check-111493/)

SunnyDraco 02-01-2012 06:10 PM

Pregnant?!? Need a vet to check?

2 Attachment(s)
Just for the entertainment with of all of the many who have and will think that there may or may not be pregnant.

I give you two mares from last spring, both had been bred AI within a week of each other. Both were bagging up and started to produce milk. Only one was actually pregnant! Can you guess which one?

Attachment 86662

Attachment 86663
^^and yes, she was over due for a farrier at the time of the picture :-)

These pictures were taken a mere 20 days before a beautiful black filly was born. Do you think you could tell from just some pictures? Or would common sense say, yep, let's call the equine vet and have real expert advise?

Anyways, this is just for fun. Enjoy :D

amp23 02-01-2012 06:21 PM

Both are very pretty! Will you tell us after some votes which one it was and post pictures? :)

SunnyDraco 02-01-2012 06:29 PM

Yep, pictures and an answer are always needed :D

Or I could really add to confusion and post a kinda blurry camera phone picture (poor light at dawn) of both mares cleaning off the new filly while the herd matriarch greeted the new comer by sniffing noses :D

SunnyDraco 02-01-2012 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 86685

The filly has a strip down her face and four perfect little socks, she shedded out into her black coat before her winter fuzzies came in. Camera phone can only do so much in low light, but this is a cute moment of three mares who would chase other horses away from their baby. Yep, a mare that used to be part of the herd was brought back after being gone for a few months, and the mares chased her continually away from the month old filly. Never any problems with people "attacking" the filly... but that other mare, well, she wasn't allowed within 50 yards of the baby. The chase was always led by the 23 year old matriarch on the left of the picture :shock: It's not like the mare was trying to threaten the filly, but the three baby mommas sure weren't going to let her anywhere near their filly :lol:

Can you guess which mare cleaning off the filly is the REAL mommy?

Attachment 86689

^patch on her neck is from the vet giving her an IV to boost her colostrum (got a shave), and it had grown in as a soft black velvet square to contrast her baby coat :-)

wyominggrandma 02-01-2012 08:27 PM

I say black mare was the momma. The one that is eating out of the grain bucket in the top photo

SarahAnn 02-01-2012 08:35 PM

I voted! But wanted to sub too so that I get the updates :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyDraco 02-01-2012 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 86702

Attachment 86703

:lol:

CLaPorte432 02-01-2012 10:36 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Oh come on! LoL.

Kansas Spice Girl 02-01-2012 10:49 PM

Eeeenie Meeenie Miiiiiinie Moe! I think its the Paint's baby!

amp23 02-01-2012 10:56 PM

Can we get any more updated pictures of the filly?