The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conformation critique this APHA mare (Good pictures!)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ilovemyPhillip 
#1 · (Edited)
Previous thread: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/general-confo-critique-apha-mare-111176/

This is today. Some said she has a weak hind end, slightly sickle hocked, and possible under bite? Do you all still have the same opinions?

And just because:

I really like how she looks in these pictures. Right now she barefoot, but with lots of riding she needs shoes. Does she look like she's capable of reining? I also do not have her papers. Apparently her registered name is "Point Take" if anyone wants to look her up.

I'd like all opinions, please.

ETA:
Point Taken!** is her registered name!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, even with the better pics, I stand by what I said before. She does need some muscle on her, which might help her overall look, but I'm still seeing sickle hocks, a longish back, weak hind end and high-looking withers. I'm debating on whether or not she's camped out in that first full body pic. She looks like she is, but I can't tell if that's just the way she stands or...

#4 ·
I don't think they'll cause any long-term problems, really. There are exercises you can do to help strengthen her back and hind end (I know backing up hills is one, but can't think of any others off-hand). Her sickle hocks I don't think will be a huge issue unless you try jumping her.

Reactions: ilovemyPhillip
#5 ·
She might tuck her butt a little bit, but she is definitely not reining type or, IMO, material but someone like NRHAReiner can better explain why or why not :) I highly doubt she could stand up to it. Weak legs, not enough bone mass compared to her body.

And agree, still stand by what I said as well.

#7 ·
Really.. not a very good horse. Her neck is set low. Her coupling is rough.. almost the beginnings of a huneter bump. Her femur is too short setting her stifle not only high but too far to the rear and making her gaskin a bit long. The result is a hind leg set too far back and sickled hocks that will be prone to curbs.

She has low knees and hocks which is desirable but her pasterns seem a bit short and steep. Her shoulder angle (at point of shoulder) is too tight and her humerus lays at a low angle. Her shoulder is a bit steep. Her head is quite coarse (tho it matters little.. you don't ride the head..). Her markings are nice. I expect she would be a rough ride.

All that being said, if she is a nice horse to work around and your intent is to use her for trail riding and to learn on, then enjoy her.

The finest looking horse will do no good if she is dangerous to work from the ground or is forever stepping out from under you for fear of some imagined bogeyman behind every bush!

Reactions: RZstoney98
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.